5 replies to this topic

#1 Miguel Bunster

Miguel Bunster
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 August 2006 - 12:06 AM

Hi I am working on a little workshop and wanted to get some ideas. I have a clear idea for the formats properties regarding their relationship between aspect ratio and lenses an so on to DOF, Angle of view flare etc?

For example anamorphic cinematography create a longer horizontal streak than spherical lenses and etc?

I wanted to ask too See if I am missing something which I am sure is the case in your opinion about the basic characteristics of the following formats and aspects ratio (not film emulsions). These is a pretty deep and subjective question but ideally including artistic decisions. For example some people wouldn?t use anamorphic for a movie based on dialogue where the director wants a lot of two shots in medium body framing. Other would. Just want to hear your opinions on both subjects artistically and on the technical level.

Well if you feel like it here are the ones?

On 35mm: 1.33, 1.85, 2.39 (anamorphic and DI pull)

16mm 1.33, 1,78

DV and HD 16/9

And curios about a specific thing. If one was planing to make a 2.39 aspect ratio movie using DV ( I know quality would be bad) would you use in cheaper cameras the 16/9 mode or the 4/3 and crop more there? What would be your consideration on lenses considering whi wide angle you had to go?

Well if any feels like taking the time I would deeply appreciate it.

Thanks!

Miguel

Edited by Miguel Teitelboim, 03 August 2006 - 12:08 AM.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 August 2006 - 12:29 AM

Your question is rather vague -- I don't know if I can describe all the aesthetic and technical issues of every format and aspect ratio combination.

As for the question about 2.39 in DV, it sort of depends on what your end presentation format(s) will be, but in most cases, shooting 16x9 to begin with will help.

#3 Miguel Bunster

Miguel Bunster
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 August 2006 - 08:32 AM

Sorry I steated the question vague, more on the techincal side really about characteristics that identify the format/aspect ratio. If you wanted to describe cartain basic characteristics that are of a certain format. For example on 2.39 35mm anamorphic there is the horizontal flare, DOF is diferent horizontally than vertically, lenses that breath a lot tend to breath more in one axis becasue of the anamorphic compression, for example in Mamet Spartan, How highlights my render different in older lenses etc..

I understand it vague but any ideas or specific characteristics that are from a certain format that represents that format is what I am looking for...but well maybe there is not much just went over alot and wanted to hear other people opinions...

Thanks
Miguel

And well of course people opinion of a movie representing masterfull use of 1.33, 1.78, 1.85, 2.39.
Thanks
Miguel

Edited by Miguel Teitelboim, 03 August 2006 - 08:26 AM.

#4 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:59 AM

The current aspect ratios for each film and video format are specified by SMPTE standards. Of special interest are SMPTE 59 which specifies 35mm camera apertures, SMPTE 195 which specifies 35mm projectable areas, SMPTE 201M which specifies the Super-16 camera aperture and extracted image areas, and SMPTE 96, which specifies the scanned image areas for television. You can purchase SMPTE standards here:

http://www.smpte.org...tore/standards/

Lens flares and aberrations for each format often depend upon the lens design, with anamorphic camera and printing lenses often having non-symmetrical flares or aberrations due to their cylindrical optical elements.

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 August 2006 - 11:11 AM

The issues that affect the look are more broken down like:

- Spherical versus anamorphic

- Zoom versus prime

- Widescreen versus less-wide formats

- Smaller negative versus larger negative

- Contact printing versus optical printing versus D.I.

Because optically, movies shot on spherical lenses, whether 1.37 Academy, 1.66, 1.85 or Super-35 cropped to 2.39, resemble each other except for the aspect ratio issue.

D.I. artifacts or optical printer artifacts are unique to those processes whether applied to Super-35, 1.85, or Super-16.

You're asking us tackle such a broad question it makes me wonder if you are writing a paper...

#6 Miguel Bunster

Miguel Bunster
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 August 2006 - 03:17 PM

Yes I agree,
I been going over a lot of things about this and thanks a lot!
Best
Miguel

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Opal