#1 Brant Collins

Brant Collins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Producer
  • Little Rock, Arkansas

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:15 PM

I know a guy that has a bolex-rex1 or 4 I am not for sure. He is afraid to try it but wants me to try it. I have shot a lot of video and some Super 8. Which film should I try first. I want to use color. I was thinking the new Velva 50d? any suggestions?

Brant Collins
Little Rock, AR

#2 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 07 August 2006 - 03:55 PM

I know a guy that has a bolex-rex1 or 4 I am not for sure. He is afraid to try it but wants me to try it. I have shot a lot of video and some Super 8. Which film should I try first. I want to use color. I was thinking the new Velva 50d? any suggestions?

Brant Collins
Little Rock, AR

this is the type of question that can generate more questions than answers...

Afraid to try it ? eh !!??

When you say 'try it' you mean test it to see if it runs well with film?

Then just get whatever you can get your hands on cheaply (short ends etc...) ... and also some lengths of exposed stock or leader (free) and try that beforehand also to practice loading.

If you want to shoot film right away on some sort of project then you really need reconcile the film type with what you are shooting. Velvia 50d is a daylight balanced slow speed reversal stock, nice, but it will restrict your shooting to sunlit scenes if its just the bolex you've got there and nothing else to play with (lighting etc...)

Maybe some 7217 (200T) and some 7212 (100D) would be a simple well rounded starting stock choice ?

I'm sure Fuji has other great options also.. Its just I'm yet to try them myself.

#3 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:23 PM

Welcome to the terribly addictive world that is FILM!

I don't think the Velvia 50D is available directly from Fuji, just from re-manufacturers who cut it down which might add to the cost... If you want a reversal stock try the Ektachrome 100D. Reversals give you that "home movie look" with higher contrasts but in 16mm which is amazing; re: Coming from video, this might just be the style you're looking for.

Its summer so if you have outdoor shots to take, try the negative Kodak Vision2 50D. Properly exposed & transfered it can look as good as any prime time TV show shot on film.

Also, try some slow motion stuff... crank the camera up to 48 FPS or so and shoot someone splashing in water... you'll never duplicate film slow-mo with a video camera or Final Cut pro (well, at least yet).

Remember that you'll have to get it transfered, but look into local telecine houses that might do a camera test roll for free or cheap.

#4 Bernhard Zitz

Bernhard Zitz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Other
  • Z├╝rich, Switzerland

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:27 PM

Which film should I try first.

If you have a 16mm projecter and you want to screen it silent, get a reversal stock like velvia 50D or ektachrome; or if you still can, some kodachrome, might be the last chance to do this

If you want to telecine it, get a negativ stock

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery