HELP with used film

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 toby5150

toby5150
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:23 AM

I have 6 super 8 cartidges that i shot a few weeks ago at a wedding 3 of the rolls say exposed on the film strip and the others dont if i finish the rolls in my camera does that do anything to the film that was already shot?
please help i dont want to ruin what was already shot it was for a wedding but i dont feel like waisting film either

#2 grantsmith

grantsmith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:17 PM

You are fine to use the cartridges which don't say 'exposed'. They are just like cassettes - when they get to the end they stop. So unless your camera has a rewind facility for double exposures and you have used it (and you wouldnt have done this by accident) then you have nothing to worry about. Use them up as, like you said there is no point in wasting film. Also, try and shoot in similar lighting conditions for the remaining film as it is quite likely that when you get it processed (if it is kodachrome) the exposure will be set from the first useable foot at the start of the film. If what is at the front is darkish and you shoot something in lots of light with the remaining film then that may be overexposed a little and vice-versa.

#3 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:24 PM

You are fine to use the cartridges which don't say 'exposed'. They are just like cassettes - when they get to the end they stop. So unless your camera has a rewind facility for double exposures and you have used it (and you wouldnt have done this by accident) then you have nothing to worry about. Use them up as, like you said there is no point in wasting film. Also, try and shoot in similar lighting conditions for the remaining film as it is quite likely that when you get it processed (if it is kodachrome) the exposure will be set from the first useable foot at the start of the film. If what is at the front is darkish and you shoot something in lots of light with the remaining film then that may be overexposed a little and vice-versa.

Yes, you can use the unused film that remains in the cartridge. Some camera footage counters may be "confused" by a partial roll, however.

Exposure is determined by the cartridge notching, or how you manually set exposure. Most labs run a "normal" standard process, and do NOT adjust processing conditions. They certainly do not adjust the process based on the first exposures on a particular roll.

#4 grantsmith

grantsmith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:43 PM

thanks john and sorry toby. must have got confused somewhere along the line though this is good to know.

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Ritter Battery