Shooting a sunset

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cameron Young

Cameron Young
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:50 PM

I'm posting this here as I think this cuts across more than just a camera specific issue.

Using a Panny DVX 100a with the Leica Dicomar lens. Tried shooting a sunset with the two different built in ND filters (1/8, 1/64), and a UV filter. Am aiming for a time lapse sunset. The issue is the star burst and the glass "flaring" that is prominent while the sun is still up but gradually decreases as the sun dips below horizon. The star points are pretty cool and I can live with it, but I would like to lose the flaring. One member suggested getting rid of the UV filter as the more glass there is, the more chance for rainbow refraction. I also found that zooming in all the way seemed to help, but, that was while the sun was starting to dip.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks, all!

#2 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:29 AM

I'm posting this here as I think this cuts across more than just a camera specific issue.

Using a Panny DVX 100a with the Leica Dicomar lens. Tried shooting a sunset with the two different built in ND filters (1/8, 1/64), and a UV filter. Am aiming for a time lapse sunset. The issue is the star burst and the glass "flaring" that is prominent while the sun is still up but gradually decreases as the sun dips below horizon. The star points are pretty cool and I can live with it, but I would like to lose the flaring. One member suggested getting rid of the UV filter as the more glass there is, the more chance for rainbow refraction. I also found that zooming in all the way seemed to help, but, that was while the sun was starting to dip.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks, all!

Some digital camera sensors will show flaring and streaks with bright speculars. Be careful not to damage the sensor --- if the sun is still too bright to look at directly, it may have enough energy to damage the sensor in a stationary shot.

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

Technodolly