9 replies to this topic

#1 grahamstanly

grahamstanly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Student

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:23 PM

Hey recentlyat a local shop... I found a deal for a k-3 camra these are the specs.

Lens: Meteor 5-1 F=17-69mm, f/1:1.9
Film: 16-mm colour or black-and-white, size of a frame: 10,05x7,6mm
Frames per second (shutter speed) range:р8 (1/20), 12 (1/30), 16 (1/40), 24 (1/60), 32 (1/80), 48 (1/120), and single frame
The half automatic aperture setting with the thru-the-lens (TTL) exposure-meter provides the high accuracy of the film exposition
The matte screen provides the clearance setting control
The parallaxless reflex viewfinder provides the complete correspondence of the field of sight with the shot frame, appearing on the movie film
Spring motor-drive works without any battery, one cocking provide 5m film winding
The half-automatic film loading into the film track simplifiers and make it faster to prepare the camera for the work
Apertures 1.9-22
Minimum focusing distance 2m (without close up lens)
Bayonet mount
Semiautomatic aperture setting
77x0.75mm filter thread
Film counter
Viewfinder has diopter correction (+5...-4)
Overall camera dimensions (without pistol grip): 326 x 104 x 194 mm
Weight: 3,2 kg (camera and lens), 6 kg (All)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and here is what it comes with

5 filters (UV, neutral density, dark yellow, light yellow, filter for close-up work F=1734mm 0.6 diopter)
Sun shade
Pistol grip
Shoulder brace
Screw-in hand strap
Zoom lever extension
Flexible cable release
Original carrying case
Manual in Russian

its for 250 dollars shiped is this a good deal?

it also came with one role of film.

thanks

Edited by grahamcracker, 08 August 2006 - 04:26 PM.

#2 Dan Horstman

Dan Horstman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Washington, DC

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:36 PM

That is about whay you would pay on Ebay. Maybe a little more expensive...but not much.

I would recomend removing the plastic loop formers for the auto load feature as they can cause the film to jam I hear. I took mine out when I got my K3 and have never had any problems.

#3 grahamstanly

grahamstanly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Student

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:53 PM

thanks so for a 16 year old wanting to learn all about camras will this be a good choice for my first 16mm camra?

#4 grahamstanly

grahamstanly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Student

Posted 08 August 2006 - 05:09 PM

thanks so for a 16 year old wanting to learn all about camras will this be a good choice for my first 16mm camra?

sorry i diddnt check that my spelling. and the edit button wasnt working

Thanks, so for a 16 year old wanting to learn all about camera's would this be a good choice for my first 16mm camera?

#5 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:58 PM

for a 16 year old wanting to learn all about camera's would this be a good choice for my first 16mm camera?

It is very popular. The K-3 has a bit of areputaion for needing imideate service when new, but for being very reliable once "broken In" - most you will see are from the used equipment market in Russia and so vary from unused to well worn.

The one ting that occurs is that in general 16mm is a bit more expensive to shoot than 8mm, partiularly if you are shooting for direct projection, 16 may have a slight edge if using digital editing and finish. (because of the availability of short ends of film, and labs that are willing to fit in scanning work whne they are not busy. _ while Super 8 tends to be bread and butter to the folks that can handle it)

The bayonet mount is a bit less flexible than the M42 mount as far as the M42 can take Pentax/Practika/etc screew mount SLR lenses allowing a choice of severall inexpensive telephoto lenes. The bayonet on the other hand will take Pro Russian Cine lens if you can find them. IF I were to get a K-3 I might prefer the M-42 version.

MY one worry is that the shipping from russsia is almost half the price of the camera, so if you were to have to send it back for exchange or repair you may be out a lot of money. You can minimise by buying from one of the known dealers. There are folks in the states who sell the K-3 in the 600 dollar range, tested adjusted and with teh loop formers removed, and sometimes modified to take wide screen shots (s-16)

#6 shutter bug

shutter bug
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2006 - 05:39 AM

imo, id get a bolex or a scoopic. reliability is nice as is expandability

#7 grahamstanly

grahamstanly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Student

Posted 12 August 2006 - 08:37 PM

Thanks for the reply's guys I will check out the bolex. i have heard they are pretty good.

#8 Rik Andino

Rik Andino
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Electrician
  • New York City

Posted 13 August 2006 - 02:20 AM

The K3 is a good camera to learn...especially for teenagers...
It has everything you need and is relatively simple operation.

Just make sure you inspect everything before you buy...
Cameras like cars are one of those things you can't tell if they work by looking at a picture.

I learned filmmaking with the K3s and the Bolexes...
As did many people in the film industry right now.

When you're ready you can upgrade to better equipment.

Good Luck

#9 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

Posted 13 August 2006 - 04:49 AM

The bayonet mount is a bit less flexible than the M42 mount as far as the M42 can take Pentax/Practika/etc screew mount SLR lenses allowing a choice of severall inexpensive telephoto lenes. The bayonet on the other hand will take Pro Russian Cine lens if you can find them. IF I were to get a K-3 I might prefer the M-42 version.

What wide lens you will use with M42 screw mount version of K-3 ?
20 mm SLR lens ? too high price.
Peleng 8 mm lens? but, this lens have big distortion.
After a some time, the user of K-3 with M42 have question, need more wide angle lens.
K3 with M42 good for tele shooting, yu can use many SLR tele lense, the very good result show Tair 3 300 mm/4.5 and other.

From other side, K-3 with bayonet mount can use 12.5 mm, 20 mm, 50 mm lens from set of Kransogorsk-1 camera, 10 mm, 15mm, 20 mm, 25mm, 50 mm, 75 mm prime lenses from set of 16SP camera, modified professinal zoom lens 16 OPF-12-1 10-100 mm, 7.5-75 mm ( with 0.75 wide front attachment ).

That's why, what version of K-3 prefer - complex question.

About TTL meter, must be ready, what TTl meter lost sensitivity after 20 years of storage. And will need replace of sensor, and re-adjust of TTL meter.
I recomend use external modern light meter.

The idea to take away of removing the plastic loop formers for the auto load feature very good, the film can have less scratches and the proceudre manual loading of film on film track better.

Any case, Krasnogorsk-3 reliable camera will work at any condition, not need battery and other power sources, can shoot at rain, snow, dust, hot climate.

#10 grahamstanly

grahamstanly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:51 AM

Thanks for the tips guys I am planning on ordering tommorrow I check everything and it seems like a nice deal.

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Glidecam

Technodolly

Wooden Camera