#1 outofexile

outofexile

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:07 PM

I have recently bought a Kinor 16mm SX 2M and am in need of a small gear which sits inside the camera body and drives a gear that contacts the magazine and runs the take up of the film.

I have contacted Slo Motion here in Hollywood after being told that they are the ones to deal with Russian cameras and was told that they have the part but will NOT sell it to me. They will ONLY repair the camera. When I asked how much it will cost? as we know the problem, I was told that I should bring the camera in for an evaluation and will then decide whether it is worth fixing or not.

It seems the people repairing these cameras are keen to make the owners of these low priced cameras pay ridiculous amounts of money to have a good working camera.

I'm sure the piece is an expendable as all other gears inside the camera are made of steel.

I have attached a link to an image of the peice I need and would greatly appreciate anyones advice on how to buy a replacement part rather than spending a small fortune on a repair.

http://www.geocities...r/problem-6.jpg

http://www.geocities...r/problem-5.jpg

#2 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

Posted 09 August 2006 - 04:05 PM

I have recently bought a Kinor 16mm SX 2M and am in need of a small gear which sits inside the camera body and drives a gear that contacts the magazine and runs the take up of the film.

I think, you need ask about a full repair of camera.
Your camera have broken plastic gear on axis between base axis of mechanism and transmission between body and film magazines.
You see result of problem, but, you not see cause of accident.
The cause of accident can be: not compatible film magazine, jammed film inside magazine, problems with mechanism of magazine, jameed friction bearing of axis of next gear, the contortion axis of next gear and more ets.
Kinor-16 camera have very good design, the every gear's pair have one gear from plastic, the second from metal. If the transmission have big braking torque, the cog of plastic gear to crack and other parts of mechanism can be not damage.
But, if the braking torque had too big volume, the one gear can crack and next, the next gear can crack too.

This is axis have plastic gear from other side too, need check this gear and other parts.
If you not inspect of all camera and magazines, and not check of synchronization between transport pin and registration pin, the other gear can fall after a some time of work.

If you will use not serviced and tested camera for shooting, the footages can have bad condition and you can lost many money on bad footages. That's why, need to service and test of camera before shooting, if you wish not lost money.

#3 outofexile

outofexile

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:19 PM

This is exactly what I mean. I have checked magazines. They are the original ones. All in great shape and functioning smoothly. This kind of damage can happen by something as simple as film jamming etc. I have dismantled the camera and all gears and mechanicals are pristine and are moving very smoothly. The only problem is WEAR on the plastic gear. The camera is at least 20 years old and the plastic gear has been running at normal and high speeds for more than 20 years against a steel gear. It is quite understandable that after that much use the gears will suffer wear. The gear is not cracked or broken - IT IS WORN, it still functions but at times skips a gear which causes the take up to slow...

Again... I don't believe I need to spend a huge amount of cash on a SERVICE. I have had it checked by a technician at the FILM SCHOOL I am attending and he agrees that the camera is functioning correctly and all it is in need of is the gear...

Please don't offer to service the camera but refuse to sell me the gear...

Thanks.

I think, you need ask about a full repair of camera.
Your camera have broken plastic gear on axis between base axis of mechanism and transmission between body and film magazines.
You see result of problem, but, you not see cause of accident.
The cause of accident can be: not compatible film magazine, jammed film inside magazine, problems with mechanism of magazine, jameed friction bearing of axis of next gear, the contortion axis of next gear and more ets.
Kinor-16 camera have very good design, the every gear's pair have one gear from plastic, the second from metal. If the transmission have big braking torque, the cog of plastic gear to crack and other parts of mechanism can be not damage.
But, if the braking torque had too big volume, the one gear can crack and next, the next gear can crack too.
This is axis have plastic gear from other side too, need check this gear and other parts.
If you not inspect of all camera and magazines, and not check of synchronization between transport pin and registration pin, the other gear can fall after a some time of work.
If you will use not serviced and tested camera for shooting, the footages can have bad condition and you can lost many money on bad footages. That's why, need to service and test of camera before shooting, if you wish not lost money.

#4 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:36 AM

This is exactly what I mean. I have checked magazines. They are the original ones.

Ihope, you know, Kinor cameras and magazines can have two versions of transmission : pin-hole, hole-pin.
The pin-pin and hole-hole not conpatible formula.
The serial numbers of camera and magazines similar ?
You check gears inside magazine, ball bearing, rollers, belt ?
This possible to do if you take to pieces of magazine.

Again... I don't believe I need to spend a huge amount of cash on a SERVICE. I have had it checked by a technician at the FILM SCHOOL I am attending and he agrees that the camera is functioning correctly and all it is in need of is the gear...

I not think to persuade of you to change of your opinion.
Not wondering, if you receive footages with a floating density on film, or change a density of every 5, or 10, or 15 picture on film, or with diffuse pictures, or one side of picture will sharpness, the other - diffuse.
I hope, all will be OK, Kinor reliable and firm camera, but, my experience tell me other.
This is not WORN, this is result of emergency conditions.

The original motor of Kinor-16 camera, 29EPSS, have one speed 25 fps only.
Any factory made Kinors had not a high speed.
Yes, of course, Kinor can run with speed up to 50..64 fps.
The cine camera - complex system of precision optical parts and precision mechanical parts, this is not meat grinder.

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

The Slider

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport