#1 asmodeus

asmodeus

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:26 AM

I've heard alot able the Panasonic DVX series camera, so recently when my company decided to purchase a new camera, I want to give the DVX102 a try.

But I have a worry, I'm not too sure if the tape recorded with a Panasonic DVX camera could be playback on other tape decks, particularly Sony BetaSP Tape Deck UVW-1400AP. Because I heard rumours that certain special recording modes, like the 24p, does not play on other players.

Anyone with experience on this?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:28 AM

The DVX100 records 24P as 60i with a pulldown so it can play on any NTSC monitor, but since it's a Mini-DV tape, you can't play it on a beta-SP deck. Beta-SP is a 1/2" analog tape format. You need a Mini-DV/DVCAM deck.

And the DVX102 is a PAL camera, so it doen't do 24P, it does 25P and records it to 50i with no pulldown. Again, it can be played on any PAL monitor.

#3 asmodeus

asmodeus

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:58 AM

The DVX100 records 24P as 60i with a pulldown so it can play on any NTSC monitor, but since it's a Mini-DV tape, you can't play it on a beta-SP deck. Beta-SP is a 1/2" analog tape format. You need a Mini-DV/DVCAM deck.

And the DVX102 is a PAL camera, so it doen't do 24P, it does 25P and records it to 50i with no pulldown. Again, it can be played on any PAL monitor.

My mistake, I have a DSR-30P DV/DVcam Deck.

Allow me to clarify.

I'm concerned about the tapes not able to playback and do capture on other DV decks, I understand that it'll show perfectly fine on monitors.

Thanks for the reply!

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:04 AM

My mistake, I have a DSR-30P DV/DVcam Deck.

Allow me to clarify.

I'm concerned about the tapes not able to playback and do capture on other DV decks, I understand that it'll show perfectly fine on monitors.

Thanks for the reply!

I repeat, the recording is ordinary PAL (in the case of the DVX102). It will play on any PAL DV deck and on any PAL monitor. The 25P is embedded in standard 50i. It would be the same as if you transferred 25 fps film to 50i PAL and put it on a DV tape -- you could play that in any PAL DV deck, right? So why wouldn't you be able to play the tape from a DVX102 since it also records 25P to 50i?

It's when you extract 25P from 50i in editing that you can't put it on DV tape as true 25P (but you can onto DVD.)

#5 asmodeus

asmodeus

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:47 PM

Thanks David! Much appreciated!

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Opal