6 replies to this topic

#1 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 04:41 PM

I was looking through my local rental house's catalog and whereas HMIs where always advertised as
5600K, ( a number I've known since my first ASC manual 20 yrs. ago) the "daylight" Kinos are advertised
as 5500K. Wouldn't they have to go out of their way to make it such and if so, why?

(I remember that the 5600K was defined as daylight at 11:00 a.m. in Washington, D.C. - in Spring
I think - so I know that daylight is subjective and also that there's a difference I believe between
daylight and skylight, the latter I believe being bluer because it's got more UV bouncing around.
Yes, "bouncing around" is rather untechnical so please correct me as necessary.)

Thanks.

#2 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:00 PM

I was looking through my local rental house's catalog and whereas HMIs where always advertised as
5600K, ( a number I've known since my first ASC manual 20 yrs. ago) the "daylight" Kinos are advertised
as 5500K. Wouldn't they have to go out of their way to make it such and if so, why?

(I remember that the 5600K was defined as daylight at 11:00 a.m. in Washington, D.C. - in Spring
I think - so I know that daylight is subjective and also that there's a difference I believe between
daylight and skylight, the latter I believe being bluer because it's got more UV bouncing around.
Yes, "bouncing around" is rather untechnical so please correct me as necessary.)

Thanks.

It may just be that the fluorescent tubes they are using have a mix of phosphors that produce D5500K. I believe that is a commonly used lighting condition that tube manufacturers try to match:

#3 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:44 PM

It may just be that the fluorescent tubes they are using have a mix of phosphors that produce D5500K. I believe that is a commonly used lighting condition that tube manufacturers try to match:

Thank you, John. Now, although you've answered my question and this detail may not be important;
I'm curious as to what the "D" in "D5500K" represents. Should I/do I need to know when buying tubes?

Edited by Tim O'Connor, 10 August 2006 - 08:45 PM.

#4 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:54 PM

Thanks.
[/quote]

I think that I may have heard "sunlight" (not "skylight") compared to "daylight."

#5 Mike Rizos

Mike Rizos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:26 PM

Maybe you heard all three. I always thought photographic daylight is sunlight plus skylight combined.

#6 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:53 PM

Maybe you heard all three. I always thought photographic daylight is sunlight plus skylight combined.

"Photographic" daylight is 5500K.

Doesn't really matter because Kino 55's almost always look cooler than HMI's, and HMI's can be anywhere as high as 6000K, and they all are bluer than sunlight!

Look at the color balance specs for 5201 (50D) stock and see that it is balanced for 5500K:
http://www.kodak.com...s...4.4.4&lc=en

#7 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 01:13 AM

Thanks, guys! ( and thanks for the link!)

Edited by Tim O'Connor, 11 August 2006 - 01:14 AM.

Ritter Battery

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc