8 replies to this topic

#1 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:36 PM

Maaan, I can't believe there's not a thread for this show. I'm interested as to how many of you watch it? The narrative is consistently and unfailingly INCREDIBLE. I'll be on the set tonight and I'm excited to watch Jon Cassar and Rodney Charters work, if they're both still on the show. Anyone have any insight or opinion as to how it's shot?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:01 PM

Maaan, I can't believe there's not a thread for this show. I'm interested as to how many of you watch it? The narrative is consistently and unfailingly INCREDIBLE. I'll be on the set tonight and I'm excited to watch Jon Cassar and Rodney Charters work, if they're both still on the show. Anyone have any insight or opinion as to how it's shot?

Don't you have a subscription to the cinematography magazines (American Cinematographer and ICG Magazine)? It's been covered in those. I think these days they are using 5229 for the show.

#3 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:12 AM

I've only recently subscribed to AC, but say, I think I will look up those back issues. Tonight the shoot was on location in the North Hollywood Metro station, and they used only lightly supplemented practicals; they only had two real set-ups, the rest was just the architecture's own light. Must keep the 1st busy, but I guess 5229 has low enough grain, I figured it was 5218.

#4 Richard Vialet

Richard Vialet
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Hollywood, CA

Posted 12 August 2006 - 08:29 AM

You are not alone! I'm an insane "24" addict myself! I think its the best show on television, and I feel that this last season was the best.

And yes, David Mullen is right about the 5229, i think it was a 2003 issue of AC that featured "24" as their cover story and mentioned that stock as the one they use (hey it might be the '18 now who knows?). And I don't think they mind grain during the nighttime stuff because I've seen many sequences on the show where the grain is very noticeable (especially in seasons 1 and 2).

Also if you didn't know this already, just a little anecdote: episodes 22 and 23 of the 4th season were shot on the Panavision Genesis. Actually I think it was one of the first times it was used in a major production. Those episodes look amazing but Charters wasn't satisfied with it and switched back to 35mm for the last episode. I forgot where I read that, but there's an article somewhere on the net about it.

But anyways, "24" is great!

#5 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 August 2006 - 08:43 AM

Here's the article on the Genesis:

http://www.studiodai...udies/4444.html

#6 Michael Most

Michael Most
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 August 2006 - 08:58 AM

Also if you didn't know this already, just a little anecdote: episodes 22 and 23 of the 4th season were shot on the Panavision Genesis.

Hype and misperception, not to mention serious exaggeration, strike again.

No "episodes" were shot on the Genesis. It was used for a few scenes as an additional camera, as a test. Some of that footage was incorporated into the show. That's it. Up to this point, the only series I know of that have been "shot on the Genesis" are Night Stalker (cancelled) and Conviction (also cancelled). Since Panavision is building more of them (last I heard they planned to make about 40, but that could be wrong), I would expect that the price will come down somewhat - making it more affordable for television production - and they will attempt to widen the market for it beyond features.

One should also not overlook the likely case that they are already far into development of its successor.

#7 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 August 2006 - 12:33 PM

It was the February 2004 issue of AC where the cover and featured article was on "24".

#8 Stas Tagios

Stas Tagios
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 03:33 PM

the only series I know of that have been "shot on the Genesis" are Night Stalker (cancelled) and Conviction (also cancelled).

The series "What About Brian," renewed for a second season, shoots with the Genesis as well. There's a full list of Genesis projects in Panavision's ad which usually runs every month in "American Cinematographer."

#9 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:04 AM

haha, yes that's definitely me and Jack Bauer in my new picture, from this shoot. awesome.

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

CineTape

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC