#1 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:38 PM

Posted here since I couldn't find another proper category.

I am working on a 1 shot music video. 35mm. I need the camera to be able to cover a 15' distance and rotate 90 degrees clockwise or counter, it also have to be able to flip 180.

Anyone have any idea's on how much this would cost for 1 day of shooting. The song is less than 5 minutes so I might need a 1000 foot mag, which I've read limits the capabilities of the jib arm.

I have a 3D pre-vis of 20 seconds showing the camera moves located here

http://jamiemetzger..../maincamera.avi

I am in San Francisco and It's a student project, so I don't have money in bags laying around.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Pass this on if you know someone that can help.

Jamie Metzger

#2 Tshaka

Tshaka
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Grip
  • New York

Posted 12 August 2006 - 12:21 AM

Posted here since I couldn't find another proper category.

I am working on a 1 shot music video. 35mm. I need the camera to be able to cover a 15' distance and rotate 90 degrees clockwise or counter, it also have to be able to flip 180.

Anyone have any idea's on how much this would cost for 1 day of shooting. The song is less than 5 minutes so I might need a 1000 foot mag, which I've read limits the capabilities of the jib arm.

I have a 3D pre-vis of 20 seconds showing the camera moves located here

http://jamiemetzger..../maincamera.avi

I am in San Francisco and It's a student project, so I don't have money in bags laying around.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Pass this on if you know someone that can help.

Jamie Metzger

This is a good topic for the Grip Forum.

It's difficult to tell without a landscape for a reference but the camera move looks very complicated.

If you want to use a jib arm I suppose you could use Chapman's Stinger Jib or a Straight Shoot'r. Mount the camera on a 3-Axis Weaver Steadman or Lambda Head for full rotation and have the whole operation on either a Fisher 10 or Chapman Hustler. Maybe you could use dolly track.

I would recommend the Z-Jib but it is a complicated Jib Adm.

A 400' film magazine in 35mm is about 5 minutes so you shouldn't need the 1000' magazine. Use a 400' magazine on an Arriflex 35-3 with a CE Base and you should be okay with the weight.

Well it's not cheap and it'll probably run about $1000.00 a day but don't take my word for it.

Will that work?

Tshaka

#3 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 12 August 2006 - 03:50 AM

A fisher 10 wouldn't work, as we'd have to come in from above, and be able to get a clean frame on the greenscreen (on the floor), and then pan/jib back up 90 degrees to the talent.

Thanks for the help, I will consider the info you've given.

#4 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 August 2006 - 06:03 AM

A 1000ft mag is fine on a jib. By watching your previs I don't really see what is so complicated. You can just use a jib and you'll be fine. Of course you'll need a decent operator.

#5 Tshaka

Tshaka
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Grip
  • New York

Posted 12 August 2006 - 06:34 AM

A fisher 10 wouldn't work, as we'd have to come in from above, and be able to get a clean frame on the greenscreen (on the floor), and then pan/jib back up 90 degrees to the talent.

Thanks for the help, I will consider the info you've given.

I'm not sure what you mean.

The Fisher 10, Chapman Hustler or even the Chapman Hybrid is meant to be used as the mobile support base for the jib arm. Did you hope to mount the jib arm on a tripod?

Could you also clarify the camera move?

If you are doing this on greenscreen and none of the equipment intersects or overlaps the main action and main objects then the equipment can be matted out. You would use a garbage matte.

This is a very complicated shot. There are a lot of perspective and camera angle changes for greenscreen.

How do you plan to match the Shot with the Plate?

Initially when I watched your animatic I thought you should use a remote head but with a limited budget I offered up the other approach.

Can you be more specific?

Tshaka

#6 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 August 2006 - 11:39 AM

Looking at the move, it seems like it can be split into two parts since you are tracking / tilting into green anyway. Matching the move into a plate is a whole other problem -- at the very least you're going to need tracking markers on the greenscreen (X tape marks).

For a smooth 180 degree rotation, a remote head would be better. I've done similar moves on a manual 360 geared-head (Panatate) but it can be a little rough. Last week I had to do a 360 degree spin with the Panatate and for awhile, it was unavailable so Panavision said they would give me a 3-axis Lambda head, but then the Panatate become available so I didn't get to try the Lambda head. A 3-axis remote head, though more expensive, may be smoother and easier to operate during the dolly / jib move.

Maybe you can get a killer deal on a 15' Technocrane... (probably not.)

Here's what the 3-axis Lambda head looks like:
http://www.chapman-l..._fluid_head.htm

You should show this previz to a key grip to get their advice too, or talk to a dolly house like Chapman or Fisher.

#7 Tshaka

Tshaka
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Grip
  • New York

Posted 12 August 2006 - 01:18 PM

A 1000ft mag is fine on a jib.

Yes you can use the 1000' Mag on the jib but you don't need to since a 400' roll of 35mm Film is almost 6 minutes of footage at 24 frames per second in 3perf. Granted the same roll is just under 5 minutes in 4perf.

The 400' mag allows the camera configuration to be lighter and more compact which helps immensely with the setup of a 3-Axis head. I suggested the Arriflex 35-3 with a CE base only because it's a versatile camera for a relatively good price. Of course it doesn't have to be this camera.

Ok. I think I understand the move a little better now. A two part move seems like a good idea.

I hope this is helpful.

You should definitely post this in the Grip forum. It's kind of dry over there. I think it's because most people don't fully grasp what Grips can do for their production.

Later.
Tshaka

Edited by Tshaka, 12 August 2006 - 01:21 PM.

#8 Rik Andino

Rik Andino
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Electrician
  • New York City

Posted 13 August 2006 - 02:06 AM

I think it's because most people don't fully grasp what Grips can do for their production.

Most people who haven't worked on films.
Grips are the back-bone of most productions.

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal