#1 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:46 PM

I shot this one a while back. Once again I was the DP and I had to let someone else operate because we were using his camera.

1 week of preparation. Shot in a shipping container, so I had to think of something to spice it up in there.

Good shoot. Could have got more coverage, and worked on the story more.

DVX 100a 24P

Let me know what you think, and please try to be bluntly honest.

Thanks,
Jamie Metzger

#2 Jacob Stalhammar

Jacob Stalhammar

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Director

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:07 PM

First I liked that dark look, but after a while it became a bit hard to see stuff... or it might be "the-YouTube-effect"...

What more... maybe a tad traditional, but I guess if the band insisted on being shot while playing live, you can only do so much.

#3 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:04 PM

Hey, thanks for checking it out.

The youtube effect definately kills a lot of what we did to have those nise blacks and saturated colors.

If you see it on DVD it looks like Color Reversal, really saturated, really crushed blacks.

The stipulation was that we shoot in the shipping container, which is their practice space, probably because they didn't think we could pull off a video.

the band liked it a lot.

Thanks for the response. Any other suggestions or critiques are appreciated.

#4 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:52 PM

I like how you use the reds and greens against each other. Also the early shot with the bassist against red. The compositions all seem very tight, I assume this was necessary because of the location. The profile of all the backup vocalists is pretty sweet. It was hard to figure out what the b&w scene was about, it just seemed like the shots didn't give it much context. But nice work, it's a pretty sweet video, and yeah I hate Youtube compression! it's free though, so what can you expect...

#5 Matt Irwin

Matt Irwin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:32 PM

Nice work!

Did you cut the holes in the back of the container (behind the band), or were they already there? Either way I liked all the light-play that you got with them. I might have added a bit of atmosphere to get some shafts going over the band, as well as put up something white outside the holes in order to "blow out" the exterior.

Loved the color contrast and the swinging bulb. Also liked the B+W stuff inside the conatiner (although I agree it was a bit hard to figure out the story).
Again, nice work.

#6 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:33 PM

I like how you use the reds and greens against each other. Also the early shot with the bassist against red. The compositions all seem very tight, I assume this was necessary because of the location. The profile of all the backup vocalists is pretty sweet. It was hard to figure out what the b&w scene was about, it just seemed like the shots didn't give it much context. But nice work, it's a pretty sweet video, and yeah I hate Youtube compression! it's free though, so what can you expect...

Thank you so much for the comments. Appreciated.

I didn't get to have much input for editing, but we did shoot coverage on the bassist and the singer, the same way we shot for the guitarist; profile, worms eye, close up, and frontal. I don't remember seeing the bassist in there too much, which is a shame, since we got some nice footage of him.

A lot of stuff was made up on the spot, as with the swinging light which was a mistake that we loved and used it the whole time. We even rigged up a rope aroung the cord and had someone pulling it offscreen!.

The B&W is a story that fell apart on shooting day. It's just about a kid that get's beat up on and his angel isn't there to save him, then he beats her up. Just an excuse to get a hot girl in angel wings.

Thanks for the comments again, I've been looking for some real feedback.

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS