Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:47 AM

Hi.
I want to submit for discussion of idea to use cine camera with Photo flash.
I think, this additional device can open new sides of trick effects with cine camera.
This is result of one special modification of Kransoghorsk-3 camera and result of test.
The user need use Kransogrosk-3 for time lapse shooting at darkness, that's why, ask me connect photo flash for this.
The mechanism of camera modified and flash run at time of film gate open.
The flash can be use with single shooting mode too.
[attachment=1380:attachment]

I take my Canon 540 EZ flash and make test with flash only and with Canon Campack battery pack E.
The result of test :

Flash 540EZ on manual mode with power 1/128 with Compact battery pack E
Speed Time of shooting
8 fps shoot any time
16 fps 10 sec
24 fps 4 sec
32 fps 3 sec
48 fps 2 sec

Flash 540EZ on manual mode with power 1/128 only
Speed Time of shooting
16 fps 5 sec
24 fps 3 sec
32 fps 2 sec
48 fps 1.5 sec

Flash 540EZ on manual mode with different power and speed 24 fps.
Power Time of shooting
1/128 3 sec
1/64 2 sec
1/32 1.2sec
1/16 0.78 sec

You can see, you can use flash for short time shooting with normal speed.
The low speed shooting with flash will give sharpness pictures on film. This can be trick effect similar " optical disc ".

The other idea, use a system with a few flash or more high power flash.

I will glad read any comments and other additional ideas.

#2 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 13 August 2006 - 02:52 PM

Flash 540EZ on manual mode with power 1/128 with Compact battery pack E
Speed Time of shooting
8 fps shoot any time
16 fps 10 sec
24 fps 4 sec
32 fps 3 sec
48 fps 2 sec

In other words you had multiple flashes until the unit gave out (ran low on power) for 4 seconds at 24FPS, (128 consective flashes at 1/24 of a second apart.)

That is actually rater good, I have heard scary tales of folks managing to get the flash tubes overheated and running (for a very short time) continuously, until the electrodes in the flash tube melted.

I am assuming this is a tyristor style flash, and you are using a fraction of the available power on each shot. I wonder if putting a bigger capacitor in parrall would give you more rn time, or whould burn up the flash tube?

#3 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 13 August 2006 - 03:57 PM

On a side note, having a shoe mount would be nice to use one of the newer self-powered video lights available. (yes, they probably give cheezy results, but for some indoor applications it might be effective.)

Where could one find parts to add such a mount?

#4 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

Posted 13 August 2006 - 04:42 PM

In other words you had multiple flashes until the unit gave out (ran low on power) for 4 seconds at 24FPS, (128 consective flashes at 1/24 of a second apart.)

That is actually rater good, I have heard scary tales of folks managing to get the flash tubes overheated and running (for a very short time) continuously, until the electrodes in the flash tube melted.

I am assuming this is a tyristor style flash, and you are using a fraction of the available power on each shot. I wonder if putting a bigger capacitor in parrall would give you more rn time, or whould burn up the flash tube?

Yes, I have one flash by every frame until the unit gave out for 4 second at 24 fps ( flash with additional power pack ) with manual set of power of flash 1/128 of full power.
Canon 540EZ with 1/128 power give F4.0 for film 100 ASA at distance 1 meter from camera.
If you will use 500 ASA film you will have more high distance or more high aperture.

Yes,this was a big news for me too.
About destroy of flash, Canon 540EZ have factory set multi flesh mode. This mode use for photo cameras and you set frequency of flashes , power of flashes and time of shining.
That's why. Canon 540 EZ design for multi flash mode.

I can not confirm of any information about time of life of Canon 540 EZ on this mode, but, at my test i shoot near 10..20 cycle with cine camer at difference speeds and flash work good.

The bigger capacitor give more high power of flash, but, will need more long increase of charing of capasitor.
I think, need test with more high power of battery. I use original 4xAA ( 1600 mAh ) on flash and 6 x AA ( 1600mAh ) on battery pack.
I think, need test of other type of flash, factory made with more high power.

We can use high speed films, 500 ASA, 800 ASA and high power of flash not need too much.
The base idea of use flash - very short time of light, you can freeze of movement.
I think, this can be very interesting, if use daylight and flash with high speed of movement of subject or entourage. The entourage can be blurry, but, the actor can have sharp image.
Or the base contour of actor will have sharp image, but, the track until and after point of flash will have
smeared picture.
I think, possible, many other ideas of use flash at trick effects.

The use of additional portable video lights can be good idea too.
Frankly speaking, the video lights have not high power ( 50..100 W ), but, this can be additional light.

You can take hot shoe from any photo camera.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

CineTape

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks