#1 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 12 August 2006 - 06:03 PM

Now I know the 'Bentley BX-720' often wins this contest, but I want to see more people's opinions.

#2 Mike Crane

Mike Crane
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:28 PM

The Pro8mm "Kinoflex" has got to be one of the worst super 8 cameras I have ever used. Soft picture and easily broken wind-up S8 camera at a very high price.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:55 PM

The Pro8mm "Kinoflex" has got to be one of the worst super 8 cameras I have ever used. Soft picture and easily broken wind-up S8 camera at a very high price.

Here is the camera:
http://pro8mm.com/Me...Product_Count=0

So what is it? Who makes it? The name makes it sound Russian-made.

#4 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 12 August 2006 - 08:14 PM

It's a Russian wind up Super 8 camera, made by Zenit I believe.

#5 Mike Crane

Mike Crane
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 August 2006 - 11:25 PM

I am sure they must be quite cheap if purchased from Pro8mm's source in Russia.

Blades to the iris sticking in closed position seems to be a common problem with these cameras.

#6 Bernhard Zitz

Bernhard Zitz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Other
  • Zürich, Switzerland

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:27 AM

if you purchase the camera under it's real name "Zenit Quarz 1x8S-2" you'll get it for arround 10$. Yes, the lens is soft. If you screw the lens off, it becomes something like a 18mm fixed focus lens, some peoble ad anamorphic adapters for cinemascope this way.

I like this camera, it's handy, no need for batteries, different speeds, single frame... i wouldn't say it's the worst, but if you buy it at pro8mm for $295.00 it might be the worst value/money ratio

cheers

Edited by Bernhard Zitz, 13 August 2006 - 08:28 AM.

#7 shutter bug

shutter bug
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:37 AM

if you purchase the camera under it's real name "Zenit Quarz 1x8S-2" you'll get it for arround 10$. Yes, the lens is soft. If you screw the lens off, it becomes something like a 18mm fixed focus lens, some peoble ad anamorphic adapters for cinemascope this way.

I like this camera, it's handy, no need for batteries, different speeds, single frame... i wouldn't say it's the worst, but if you buy it at pro8mm for $295.00 it might be the worst value/money ratio

cheers

how about the agfa super8 camera that came with the viewing scree as a seperate tabletop unit. it made kinder surprise toys look like they were designed by JPL

#8 Retrogorilla

Retrogorilla
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:43 AM

Now I know the 'Bentley BX-720' often wins this contest, but I want to see more people's opinions.

I'm the "proud" owner of one of these babies...that being said, I've never actually used it nor do I intend to blow a roll of film in one. I am curious though as to what kind of images I'd get from the plastic lens!

I don't actully mind the Bentley BX-11 projector/mini tv style thingie. The bulb is dim, but so far I haven't had any jamming problems with running film through it like some people describe.

#9 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:22 AM

Weren't you that one who spent $30 or something in a Goodwill Store for a BX 720, believe it or not, I'm going to buy a BX 720, just to see how bad it can possibly get.

#10 Mike Crane

Mike Crane
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 August 2006 - 01:07 PM

cheers

The 10.00 price for this camera is not bad all things considered. Where do you buy the "Zenit Quarz 1x8S-2" at such a good price? I may order 5 of them just for stunt cameras.

#11 Retrogorilla

Retrogorilla
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2006 - 02:39 PM

Weren't you that one who spent $30 or something in a Goodwill Store for a BX 720, believe it or not, I'm going to buy a BX 720, just to see how bad it can possibly get.

Nah - I got the camera and the TV style projector for $20 off eBay. I figure the projector is worth it just for the convenience factor of not having to set up a screen and all that if you don't want to.

I'd be interested in seeing anything you might shoot with the camera!! Maybe it will inspire me to create my own Bentley masterpiece...perhaps a remake of "The Fog" or something.

#12 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 13 August 2006 - 04:39 PM

Tis a deal, I'll send you a DVD if I can, or just do yootube.com when it's done may not be for a month.

Matthew Buick

P.S Can you PM me some info on the camera.

#13 Marc Guerriero

Marc Guerriero
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:55 PM

The Bently B-3 is the ultimate worst Super 8 camera ever made. It is a small piece of plastic that runs on 2 AA batteries with a fixed focus lens made of plastic and no auto exposure.

#14 Pete Von Tews

Pete Von Tews
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Concord CA USA

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:48 AM

I'll keep an eye out for a "Bentley" super 8 camera. I can't afford the car, at least I can afford the camera. All I'll need when I shoot is those fake Gucci or DG sunglasses and the shoot is going to look like a pretty legit production! Could this be the Holga of the super8 world?

#15 Tony Hudson

Tony Hudson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 November 2007 - 09:02 AM

It's also a design rip-off of the great little Fujica P2 single 8 camera:

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

#16 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:34 PM

Apparently there is an annual Bentley film festival in Kansas City.

Although I can't seem to find any mention of it for this year.

#17 Marc Guerriero

Marc Guerriero
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:36 PM

Apparently there is an annual Bentley film festival in Kansas City.

Although I can't seem to find any mention of it for this year.

Do they only accept films that are shot on the Bentley Super 8 cameras?

#18 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:56 PM

I'd be interested in seeing anything you might shoot with the camera!! Maybe it will inspire me to create my own Bentley masterpiece...perhaps a remake of "The Fog" or something.

Wow! This thread has been a while.

Anyway, I bought the BX-720, I must say I wasn't impressed. I then popped a roll of 800T in, and the dmn thing broke after about 80 frames, I don't blame it, I wouldn't be best happy pulling that poop myself. :P

#19 Jean Beaudoin

Jean Beaudoin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • Montréal

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:47 PM

For me the worst ever camera is this Kodak Ektasound piece of ...that would jam film, even break it, consume batteries like a carnivore.
The lens with an approximate focus and a wopping 3x zoom ! Man I did shoot my first sound movie with it back in 74.

#20 Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:05 PM

I chucked a Bentley out of an airplane at 13,000 and it was still chugging away when we found it an hour later in a soggy field. I'm so damn proud of that piece of crap that I gave it a place on my mantel, dirt and all.

It run out of film long before it hit the ground. My next sacrifice was a Canon XL something at 3,000. It still runs too.

Technodolly

Opal

Tai Audio

CineLab

Glidecam

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Visual Products