Ken Lawton

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other
  • Rocky Mountains, USA

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:18 PM

Just a note regarding possible conflicts between software/hardware for Digital/Analog movie rendering program. Maybe some of you folks have had the same problem.
I have been using Pinnacle Studio-9 for some years now with great success. It was loaded on a working box with Pinnacles' own PCI card which hooked to a remote breakout box with connections for A/V, sound, etc. The system monitoron the old box was fed from a *motherboard* video connection.
The box was W98, 450mhz processor, 780meg ram, 80-gig C: for the OS and other programs, then a 160gig D: for storage of analog/digital movie rendering plus photos and restored audio files. This box not only serviced the Pinnacle Studio-9 nicely, it also processed an audio-restoration program, and several other programs. For a conservative box, it processed all the Analog films nicely without loosing any frames on the rendering, no matter what quality.
Since that worked so well, I decided to upgrade. Next came a new motherboard, 1.26gig processor, 2-gig ram, and the same 80gig and 160gig hard drives, formatted then reloaded with W2000Pro. (80gig loaded first, OS upgraded to SR-4, then the 160gig drive added). Added a new PCI video board, MS compatable, 64meg ram, a PCI card feeding the two harddrives, the Pinnacle PCI card and breakout box, and only loaded the Pinnacle-Studio-9 program, so the movie rendering could have the entire resources.
The box crashed as soon as I added the Pinnacle board. Prior to that, it had worked flawlessly, updating the OS via wireless comcast and loading programs such as AV and Firewall.
It seems that Pinnacle does not play well with "certain video boards", according to complaints at the Pinnacle forum (which I could no longer find...).
So, to make a long story short, I'm going to get another motherboard, one that has *onboard video*, like the old one, and try again to load Pinnacle with its proprietary PCI card and breakout box. If that still doesn't work, I'm just going to try out the programs that come with the DVD burners. I have several rolls of film which need to be processed. :rolleyes:

#2 Ken Lawton

Ken Lawton

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other
  • Rocky Mountains, USA

Posted 19 August 2006 - 05:48 PM

Well, OK, that's what I get for listening to other people who are having problems; the problem was not with any board conflict between Pinnacle and other hardware, it was simply an installation problem. Here's the bottom line:

Installation finally worked on the new Windows2000Pro box, but installation is slightly different than was the installation process in the prior W98 box. *First off*, you have to understand that there are *two installation programs*; one for the *appropriate* PCI Board (whichever one you happen to have, see the diagrams up at Pinnacle), and then the larger install programs for the Studio Suite. *Second*, you have to boot to "safe mode" to install both the Studio Suite, *and* the PCI Board driver. You cannot just turn off your AV program in full W2GPro mode. Now, why I did not have that problem with Windows98 installation I do not know, however W98 does have some features which are superior to all versions since, however W98 cannot allocate resources as effeciently, nor can it recognize (utilize) RAM in excess of it's lower limitation. Even so, Pinnacle worked nicely on the prior W98 box with a 455mhz processor, 128meg RAM, and a couple of large hard drives. In fact, it did not drop any frames while rendering rather lengthy analog movies with lots of action. That says a lot for the efficient programming in the Pinnacle program. There are no "conflicts" with any video boards or sound boards, the only conflict is in the process of proper Pinnacle program and driver loading.
So if you are having "Pinnacle problems" with W2000Pro (or later versions such as XP, and possibly other iterations of Windows OS with core technology related to Windows2000Pro and NT), you might try what I did and it mightl work nicely.
Will be nice to start rendering all those reels of film shot since I took down the W98 box for a simple little upgrade of M-board, processor, RAM, Sound Board, Video Board, and hard-drives!
Best Regards, Ken Lawton www.kenlawton.com :)

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Glidecam