#1 David Avila

David Avila
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Leeds

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:54 AM

Hi my name is David. This is my first post although I´ve been reading a long time ago. (sorry for my english but i´m spanish :rolleyes: )
I´ll make a short film in two weeks, I have three rooms,all of them have white walls, and more or less the dimensions are 120 inches width (3 meters) and 240 inches long (6 meters), I can´t light trough the windows (it´s a second/third floor and I can´t rent a scaffolding), the visual reference is "The Hudsucker Proxy" for the interiors and I can´t use anything more powerfull than a 1kw (top of the house power is about 3 kw, ´cause are old houses and I can´t carry on a generator)... I think I'll use gobos for create a pattern in the walls and barricudas for hang on my lights (I'm not sure about how to say this in english)
Emulsion is kodak 500T 5279, camera Arri Bl4, lens zeiss 2.1 or 1.3 (i´m not sure yet).

The other location is in a forest with a F900 Sony HD and I have to mix real images with animation (like Roger Rabbit) and the director wants a ray of light trough the trees. I have a 5kw generator (I´ll do the most of my light with reflectors, mirrors and palio´s) and I was thinking to use a fog machine to exagerate the light beams trough the trees.

Any advice?? Any suggestion will be appreciate. Thanks very much. If you have any questions don´t be shy and ask me.

P.D.: sorry again because of my english :P

#2 seth christian

seth christian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Director
  • Nashville, TN. USA

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:12 PM

anytime your compositing animation over imagery like that, I'd overexpose by
about 1 stop, just to help have a larger headroom for allowing the footage to
blend better with the animation. Otherwise, the problem with compositing stuff
is lighting never matches at all. and yes, most of that work will have to be adjusted
to death in your 3D software, but a little more headroom on the footage always
helps to give it a little more of a dreamy feel...or cartoon feel, etc.
good luck

#3 Marc Mateo

Marc Mateo

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Auckland, NewZealand

Posted 15 August 2006 - 08:43 PM

Hi David
Its hard to advise you without a few more specific details i.e. The time of day/night you are trying to recreate? What's going on in the rooms - props, action etc? Static or moving camera? What kind of motivated light sources are there? The fact you are using 500T fo the INT suggests it could be a Night scene. Based on that assumption you could consider lighting from the underneath the eyeline. I recently shot a clip in a small apartment with light coloured walls with a brief to achieve a noirish look. I utilized alot of 'up' light hiding fluoro tubes, small kinos, bounces round the place and picked out the edges with dedo's concealed in corners or cunningly framed out of shot. Keep a few large flags around for anti fill its amazing how the light bounces around in those small rooms especially if the walls are white. Another thing that might suit you is a boomed top light. I often use a flathead/image 80 or 4x4 kino boomed in from near the camera to create a movable top light. For the flathead you will need a heavy duty wind up stand (preferably with wheels) and something like a Matthews Junior style boom arm. The 4x4 kino can often be rigged off a baby syle boom provided you don't need too much extension. Its great because with a little adjustment you can make it a back light, a frontal key or even a toppy fill light.

Good luck with the EXT scene it sounds like the sun will be your best help with the God Rays. If you do over expose a little as suggested by "thinkmonkeymedia" bear in mind God Rays will lose intensity with overexposure. If you end up using a mirror or a light to achieve this effect playing it back towards the lens will increase the intensity. I'm not sure what kind of fog machine you have but controlling that effect can be a nightmare. If you have the man power (and a cerified saftey officer) you could try using multiple pots of frankincense upwind to create a haze. Be careful of the fire risk though! With HD i try to avoid overexposure as it generally clips out the highlights more readily than the blacks.

Good Luck

#4 David Avila

David Avila
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Leeds

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:24 AM

Thanks very much, when I finish the shooting I´ll try to post some photos...see you

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Opal

CineTape

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies