Brian Beard

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Vancouver, B.C.

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:00 PM

I am looking for tips on settings when exposing for highlights for a very "video" look using the SDX900. I am currently using it on a show and i am shooting 60i to match existing footage and i am finding the highlights blow out much faster than traditonal (betacam) settings. any thoughts? <_<

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19762 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:04 PM

I am looking for tips on settings when exposing for highlights for a very "video" look using the SDX900. I am currently using it on a show and i am shooting 60i to match existing footage and i am finding the highlights blow out much faster than traditonal (betacam) settings. any thoughts? <_<

Are you using the knee to bring down the brightest highlights? Are you using the zebras to watch your exposure?

#3 Brian Beard

Brian Beard

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Vancouver, B.C.

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:27 PM

Are you using the knee to bring down the brightest highlights? Are you using the zebras to watch your exposure?

Yes I am using a manual knee setting, I believe the preset. I am not using the auto knee. I am still working on what would be a good knee setting? I am currently using the STD Gamma settings thinking it is more standard to "video". I have yet to experiment with the filmlike gamma settings. I am using both zebra settings. I still find that it does not handle any over exposure like a betacam might. It was also suggested i might try the high color setting which i have yet to try

#4 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:13 PM

Might be worth checking the actual Knee Point and Knee Slope settings in the menus. The standard manual settings are 85% and 50 respectively.

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Opal

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly