#1 Zuma

Zuma
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne Australia

Posted 14 August 2006 - 01:22 PM

I have been offered both these cameras S80 & 512XL supposedly in good working order would any one care to
comment on the pros and cons of each. I'm just getting started as an 8mm filmaker so I would appreciate
the feedback as a guide before purchase.
Cheers Zuma...

#2 Gianni Raineri

Gianni Raineri
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Other
  • London England

Posted 15 August 2006 - 05:30 AM

They are mid to lowend in the Nizo-Canon universe. Better ones exist, but snap them up to start your collection. Both are great cameras, for starting out, eventually you'll find better ones.

Starship Enterprise Captain Jame T. Kirk used a Nizo S80 in one of his missions.

Posted Image

I've got the Nizo S80, I've got other Canons, but not the 512XL. Shoot a test cartridge with both cameras, and you will be ready to go. How much? Both will give you a good system, one for Sunny and Outdoors, one for Darker Days and Indoors Available Light.

I'm into wide angle, which neither of these do, so I would get a cheap .07X or wider adaptor lens, either screw on or gaffer tape on.

Nizo will do basic time lapse,

Gianni

Sorry won't let me edit the post...

... The Nizo will do basic time lapse, stop motion, has auto and manual exposure with wide range of film speed, , a variable shutter, kind of film stock, goes manual, and becomes a parts donor to for your next better Nizo.

Gianni

#3 Gianni Raineri

Gianni Raineri
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Other
  • London England

Posted 15 August 2006 - 08:18 AM

Important Health and Saftey point: Need Eye Protection with Nizo Viewfinders. This applies to other Super 8 cameras too... The Eyepiece Cups have mostly perished over time. Making a new one is easy. You still need eyecups on the cameras, expecially with the Nizo's and Chinons protruding view finders. Your eye can get hurt real bad if the camera gets knocked while you are looking through the finder without the eyecups.

I made one myself using a plastic water bottle and black tape, works great. Home made eyecups are good for you, cost almost nothing and are quick to make. I ought to sell these things on ebay!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Finished eyecup click here
Replacement Eyecup being made

Gianni

#4 Zuma

Zuma
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne Australia

Posted 15 August 2006 - 10:23 AM

Thanks for the info & pics Gianni. I enquired about the condition of the eyecup on the Nizo. Reply
from seller was: "What eyecup". So your guide to making one from a plastic bottle will come in handy
immediately it seems. I can have the Canon for $50 (Australian) but the seller wants around
$120 AUD for the Nizo. Seller is friend of a friend so I'm as certain as you can be that they are in
GWO. Fair deal you think? When you say you're into wide angle could you give me an example of
how this applies to your filming? I'm fairly green when it comes to the technical aspects of filming.
Also could I ask what cameras you like to use and why?

By the way I'm not much of a Star Trek fan but I actually saw that episode where Kirk used the Nizo!
It was long before I knew anything at all about 8mm cameras and I was sure it was something rigged up
by the prop guys. It looked like someone had stuffed a torch in an old 8 track cartridge player and screwed
a handle on the bottom. And now I'm thinking of buying one. Aint life strange?

#5 Gianni Raineri

Gianni Raineri
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Other
  • London England

Posted 15 August 2006 - 06:48 PM

Grab the Canon, if it works, but wait on the Nizo. I woudn't spend more on super 8 cameras that what I'm ready to throw away... Every single camera is over twenty years old, them Nizos thirty or forty something... even if they look good. Spend your money on fresh film and processing and talent.

I think i paid £25 for my Nizo. For $120 I would get a higher class model like a three digit model, or the four digit sound models are quiet and worth more. The models ending with a one, like the 481 or 561 are better because they have advanced time lapse with auto exposure on them, the two digit models have simple time lapse. Some of the sexy Beaulieu 4008ZMII's go for 120 Euros in Germany. That's a cool camera, but expect to spend $300 to service them by Bjorn Andersson of Beaulieu Sweden.

The difference is the XX1's has a Auto M and TIME Exposure setting that will stay open until the light sensor decides it time to advance the shutter, while the two digit models just adjust the aperature and advance the frame at the rated FPS. So with the 481's and 581'syou can take photos of streets at night and get long lines of car lights drawn accros the frame, impossible with the two digit models like the S80's. I have heard that the three digit model will also wait with the shutter open pointed at the storm clouds and close after a few bursts of lightning. Not enough lighting in London for me to test this out.

Gianni

Edited by Gianni Raineri, 15 August 2006 - 06:50 PM.

#6 Gianni Raineri

Gianni Raineri
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Other
  • London England

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:49 AM

Posted Image

If anybody has the video to loan of this episode, please pm me! Gianni

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS