#1 super8isgreat

super8isgreat

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Director

Posted 14 August 2006 - 01:53 PM

I recently saw a super 8mm camera for sale - it's an AGFA Movexoom 3000. Does anyone know this camera? If so, would you recommend my purchasing it? If not, why not?

#2 David W Scott

David W Scott
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Director
  • Toronto

Posted 14 August 2006 - 08:33 PM

I recently saw a super 8mm camera for sale - it's an AGFA Movexoom 3000. Does anyone know this camera? If so, would you recommend my purchasing it? If not, why not?

This camera was built for AGFA by Minolta. It has a great reputation as a "prop" because it looks like a Star Trek phaser!

Super 8 Wiki entry

I don't think this camera has manual exposure -- and it's a 40/160 ASA model only. That kills it's usefullness with most stocks -- Tri-X is the only current stock that will expose properly.

Of the AGFA cameras, the most highly-thought-of models are the Movexoom 6 MOS and 10 MOS. These were the successors to the 3000, and were actually built by AGFA. The Rokkor lenses (especially on the 10 MOS) are fantastic, the cameras are built well, and have many good solid-state electronic features. These cameras are also only 40/160 compatible, but have manual exposure, so you can use them with an external light meter. After much consideration, I ended up buying a very clean Movexoom 10 MOS on eBay, and I am very pleased with it.

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Glidecam