#1 Jacob Stalhammar

Jacob Stalhammar

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Director

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:00 PM

Here's the first (I've either shot or edited other people's stuff before) music video I did almost everything on myself (costumes by Ellen Utterström).

I filmed, storyboarded, lighted, edited, even made a reflector umbrella of an old real umbrella... and a crude stabilizer Posted Image. Posted Image
Not something I would recommend, it was seriously hard work. But I guess I learned loads. Please feel free to comment all you like.

video page here

Posted Image

#2 Dave Francis

Dave Francis

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Not so Great Britain

Posted 15 August 2006 - 03:53 PM

Glad that you found the production hard work. It means you put yourself out to achieve what you wanted.
As for the 'SteadiBrella', well done again. Its not the tool that matters, but the creativity that encompasses its use.

We make production gear for the pro's (as well as filming too) and would never boast that our equipment would give you a better production. Your SteadiBrella (as I've named it) does the same as any Steadicam. It takes out the majority of the pitch and roll problems, with the exception that the SC does it superbly.

As for the content of the music video.......Hmmmmmmm? It was kinda scarey and stuff that bad dreams are made out of. Many many goods points in it though. Glad to see you had the lip-sync sync'd.

Couldn't quite make out the storyline though and there seemed to be a lot of issues with the directional flow. Many fast cuts and then slow cuts too, but still without the story coherency. Add some fades next time for that ethereal effect. The music was quite slow for so many stark cuts. At least introduce 'some' lag for that type of song.

I did like it in a kind of strange way. There IS something there. More akin to Enya or Evanescense structuring I suppose. Making a music promo is very difficult, even with a full crew.

In a nutshell, although disjointed, I do think that promo is on the right track, but maybe slightly lost in those woods. Something about it was attractive but I cannot quite put my finger on the part(s) that was/were so.

I've seen a lot of rubbish when it comes to music promo's, and I can say that this doesn't fall into that category. Work on it. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

I've been involved in many televised music promos before, so that is why I share that knowledge with you and all.

Edited by DaveyUK, 15 August 2006 - 03:55 PM.

#3 Jacob Stalhammar

Jacob Stalhammar

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Director

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:22 PM

Thank you so much for your great reply! :D Encouraged by this support I went on and made more films. (I also go "The Five C's of Cinematography" and "Painting w Light" among other books... and started to read American Cinematographer at the library... taking notes when watching rentals, sketching storyboards from videos I liked etc etc... )

Having no decent camera for the moment, and wanting more control, and flow through wilder images than I could possibly afford any other way, I made this animated promo, posted here as well

Again, great thanks. I've been coming back and reading this reply quite a few times. You've been most helpful. :)

Edited by Jacob Stalhammar, 07 May 2007 - 03:22 PM.

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products