Hisham Maleh

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Damascus-syria

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:57 PM

To Create a digital cinema master in high- performance 2k-4k Resolution , i know ther are 2 - kinds of machine from film to video -telecine and film scanner . what is the difference between them ? is telecine
less Resolution then film scanner? is film scanner best for CGI and visual effects . Best Regards

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 August 2006 - 08:09 PM

To Create a digital cinema master in high- performance 2k-4k Resolution , i know ther are 2 - kinds of machine from film to video -telecine and film scanner . what is the difference between them ? is telecine
less Resolution then film scanner? is film scanner best for CGI and visual effects . Best Regards

The Spirit 4K is high in resolution and not a film scanner.

The main difference is that scanners run slower for the same resolution, stop-n-start, and are pin-registered. A Spirit is a line-array CCD machine where the film moves continuously past a single row of light sensors. So a transfer using a 2K or 4K "datacine" may be cheaper because it can be done faster, but for shots to be composited, you may want to use a film scanner.

Otherwise D.I. places have tested the 4K Spirit, Northlight, Arriscanner, and Imagica, etc. for doing D.I.'s and tell me that the differences are not dramatic. Many like the 4K Spirit transfers, but for efx work, they usually still recommend a film scanner be used because it will be a little steadier.

#3 Hisham Maleh

Hisham Maleh

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Damascus-syria

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:44 AM

Thank You David :

Your informatios meaning that Film Scanner record all the detalls of film hig resolution and best color
quality , but in less speed then telecine whitch ttransfer film images to video in real time .

best regards .

Hisham Maleh
Director Of Photography
Freelance
Film - Hi Def - Video
Damascus- Syria

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery