peterstein

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:15 PM

Hello,

I have what I think is a basic question. I am trying to save money and not buy a Sony mini dv deck for my wife's final cut pro system. She would play mini dv tapes on the cheap mini dv camera (like the canon elura 100), to load into final cut pro thru the fire wire, and then record the edit back onto the mini dv camera. Will I lose any quality by doing this with a cheap camera vs the Sony mini dv deck.

I also would like to record stock footage from various sources on this camera through the analog port. Would the quality be much better with the Sony mini dv deck?

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.

Peter

#2 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 14 August 2006 - 11:42 PM

Well, unless you want to capture over analog you won't loose any quality. The beauty of digital is its essentially the same as a tape backup for a computer. One linear tape that stores bits. It either reads it or it doesnt. Maybe a better deck would last longer, or have better shuttle transport, but in terms of on-screen quality you would never see a difference. I spent years capturing from a cheap mini-DV camera. Saves wear and tear on your more expensive cameras.

The problem with using the analog port on the cheaper cameras is that it will use the hardware the camera has, which might be of lower quality than a deck would have, particularly in A/D converters and signal to noise ratio. You would then introduce more noise and poorer compression.

If you want analog capture, there are several good firewire converters out there that could do the job seperatley.

#3 peterstein

peterstein

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:45 PM

Well, unless you want to capture over analog you won't loose any quality. The beauty of digital is its essentially the same as a tape backup for a computer. One linear tape that stores bits. It either reads it or it doesnt. Maybe a better deck would last longer, or have better shuttle transport, but in terms of on-screen quality you would never see a difference. I spent years capturing from a cheap mini-DV camera. Saves wear and tear on your more expensive cameras.

The problem with using the analog port on the cheaper cameras is that it will use the hardware the camera has, which might be of lower quality than a deck would have, particularly in A/D converters and signal to noise ratio. You would then introduce more noise and poorer compression.

If you want analog capture, there are several good firewire converters out there that could do the job seperatley.

Thanks Michael, ...that makes a lot of sense. One further question. With an inexpensive mini dv camera like a Canon Elura 100 - aside from the lens - how will the quality of the picture compare with something like a Sony PD 150 or a Canon GL2? I am strictly asking about using it as a camcorder. Peter

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC