#1 Ken OSullivan

Ken OSullivan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 August 2006 - 06:20 AM

Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone has a view on the functional differences between a Z1 and an FX1, from what I can see there is a Euro 1,500 cost difference. I was told the FX1 doesn't have XLR sockets.

Any info appreciated..

Ken

#2 Olivier Vanaschen

Olivier Vanaschen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brussels, Belgium

Posted 15 August 2006 - 06:38 AM

Hello Ken,

we bought the FX1 when it came out (the Z1 wasn't released yet) and there are really not many differences. The only "picture" option that the Z1 has and the FX1 doesn't is the black strech (which is just an on/off switch in the menu, no other settings). The Z1 has XLR inputs but aren't that good, for about 250$ you can get an beachtek adapter for the FX1 which works more than fine.

The great thing about the Z1 is that it's PAL and NTSC, you can switch from 50i to 60i which can be really useful if you have to shoot in/for different countries. As the Z1 is pro equipment and the FX1 is prosumer, you may have better support service from Sony if you have the Z1.

Both camera offer exactly the same picture quality, no difference at all. You can buy an FX1 and a HC1 for the same price as a Z1 or buy a FX1 with many accessories (matte box, batteries, beachtek, bag, tripod,...).

Here's a good link to more informations: SonyHDVinfo

Edited by Olivier Vanaschen, 15 August 2006 - 06:38 AM.

#3 Ken OSullivan

Ken OSullivan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:20 AM

Hello Ken,

we bought the FX1 when it came out (the Z1 wasn't released yet) and there are really not many differences. The only "picture" option that the Z1 has and the FX1 doesn't is the black strech (which is just an on/off switch in the menu, no other settings). The Z1 has XLR inputs but aren't that good, for about 250$ you can get an beachtek adapter for the FX1 which works more than fine.

The great thing about the Z1 is that it's PAL and NTSC, you can switch from 50i to 60i which can be really useful if you have to shoot in/for different countries. As the Z1 is pro equipment and the FX1 is prosumer, you may have better support service from Sony if you have the Z1.

Both camera offer exactly the same picture quality, no difference at all. You can buy an FX1 and a HC1 for the same price as a Z1 or buy a FX1 with many accessories (matte box, batteries, beachtek, bag, tripod,...).

Here's a good link to more informations: SonyHDVinfo

Hi Olivier,

Many thanks for the info. I had a look at the comparison and the only differences I can spot are the lack of (2) XLR inputs, FX1 doesn't seem to support DVCAM format and doesn't seem to have timecode settings, would you say this is correct ? Lack of timecode would be a real problem for editing..

Thanks again
ken

#4 Olivier Vanaschen

Olivier Vanaschen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brussels, Belgium

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:42 AM

Hello Ken,

this is correct. I must say I never really use the timecode for editing so for me it's not really an issue but it all depends of which kind of projects you need to edit.

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

CineLab