#1 Steve Speers

Steve Speers

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:53 AM

I have a short I am shooting that is basically miniature work. Real miniature sets with robotic remote controled charactors. It will be filmed in real time. Hoping to use a probe lens on the HVX200. I have never lit small sets and figured there must be some good tricks out there. It is a noir type crime show. Sets are a cocktail lounge and theater, apartment and city street. Hoping for a dark and edgy sort of noir feel. My first thoughts were to use a Dedo kit and a bunch of mini bounce cards and dental mirrors. Wondering if anyone has any experiences and tricks they would share. Not much money so ides that may involve flashlights and home made gadgets would be great. One question is a cheap and small way to rig these small cards and things with out using a bunch C-Stands?

One scene I would like to have the charactors work through a dark apartment crime scene holding flashlights as the flashligh beam shows throught the smokey enviroment. Any cheap LED type ideas for flashlights the robotic charactors could hold? Or even a to scale police light flashing through a window from outside?

Also looking for ways to move the camera. Probably a small slider or something . . .

The charactor are about 12" talls.

Thanks,

Steve Speers
Camera Services
MN, USA

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 August 2006 - 12:08 PM

Dedolights & dental mirrors sound like good ideas. I'd avoid battery-powered flashlights though; they die too quickly. Maybe LED lights can be useful. Use could use heavy baling wire as a form of mini C-Stand, if you can figure out where to mount the wire to.

#3 Peter Tripodi

Peter Tripodi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Student
  • SF Bay Area

Posted 16 August 2006 - 03:10 PM

Fiber optics strands may work for certain applications. Then you wouldn?t need any support circuitry for small lights, just run a bundle of fiber from a strong light source out of frame. Maybe defuse the end of the bundle so it doesn't look like a bunch of point sources grouped together.

Barbie Noir. Your project sounds cool!

Edited by Peter Tripodi, 16 August 2006 - 03:12 PM.

#4 Luke Prendergast

Luke Prendergast
  • Sustaining Members
  • 491 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Victoria Australia

Posted 16 August 2006 - 06:07 PM

A powered USB hub and a bunch of flexible USB snakelights might be handy. Good for controlled tabletop stuff too.

Posted Image

#5 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Culver City, California

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:04 PM

Dedolights & dental mirrors sound like good ideas. I'd avoid battery-powered flashlights though; they die too quickly. Maybe LED lights can be useful. Use could use heavy baling wire as a form of mini C-Stand, if you can figure out where to mount the wire to.

David

Instead of baling wire try Armature wire. It is a bendable wire used for making a wire skeletons for modeling clay. It is very bendable and comes in many different thicknesses. You can get it at any good art supply store. I have a huge selection of mirrors mounted just this way.

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Opal

CineTape

FJS International, LLC