#1 Ted Hoppe

Ted Hoppe

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:29 PM

I considering using my Bolex with a Berthiot Pan-Cinor zoom len (30mm) shooting some higher speed outdoor action shots (using Kodak 7201). I am going to be way out in the bush and vary limited in space for many other lens. I suppose this is my way to return to filming with my first 16mm film camera.

What considerations should I be looking out for? Any suggestions would be appreciated. (Additionally, I am planning to do a +4k scan per frame in an attempt to deliver 1080i or better HD video - a cheap man's telecine.)

#2 shutter bug

shutter bug
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:05 PM

I considering using my Bolex with a Berthiot Pan-Cinor zoom len (30mm) shooting some higher speed outdoor action shots (using Kodak 7201). I am going to be way out in the bush and vary limited in space for many other lens. I suppose this is my way to return to filming with my first 16mm film camera.

What considerations should I be looking out for? Any suggestions would be appreciated. (Additionally, I am planning to do a +4k scan per frame in an attempt to deliver 1080i or better HD video - a cheap man's telecine.)

i wouldnt be using a berthiot if you are planning to do a 4k scan. i wouldnt use one ever actually. im going over the edge a bit here but i always felt their optical quality was akin to rubbing vaseline all over a beer glass

#3 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 17 August 2006 - 02:14 PM

---Isn't the Pan-Cinor 30 the 8mm version of the Pan-Cinor60?!?!
It's the oldest Pan-Cinor zoom. The 17.5-70 is an improvement. I suspect many here would pick the much maligned Angie 12-120 over the 17.5-70 and use the 20-60 as a paper weight.

If you most use a Pan-Cinor use a 17-85 0r the 12-120/3.3 HunterZoom, which requires a Rex, which I'm guessing you don't have.

#4 Clive Tobin

Clive Tobin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Spokane Valley, WA, USA

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:13 PM

I considering using my Bolex with a Berthiot Pan-Cinor zoom len (30mm) ...

The only Pan Cinor 30 lenses I've heard of are made in D Mount for 8mm cameras. This is 5/8" diameter mounting threads to the camera. C mount for 16mm is 1" diameter threads.

Did it come with the camera? Could you perhaps have just bought this camera on Ebay from a seller who didn't know what he had, and listed an 8mm camera as 16mm?

For further reference you might refer to the Identifying Your Bolex writeup with lots of pictures on my website. Shameless plug: there you will also find our crystal and timelapse/animation motors for Bolex.

FJS International, LLC

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Glidecam