#1 Justin Sudberry

Justin Sudberry

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 August 2006 - 04:40 PM

I am in the process of shopping for a light meter. I have looked around on the internet at various websites and I cannot really decide on which one I want/need. I am considering the Sekonic L-558 Cine, if anyone has this meter or has used it, please send me your feedback. Also, if you have used it and do not like it that would be helpful too. I am basically looking for a decent incident and reflected light meter, and I am willing to pay for what ever price it takes to get a meter that will last. If you have any preferences as far as models/brands that would also be a greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Justin

#2 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 16 August 2006 - 04:48 PM

I love my spectra-cine IV. It has a spot option, but I don't really need a spot meter so I didnt buy it(dont really use them much) its cheap, has every feature you would need on set and in my opinion has been very reliable. Never tried the sectonic though.

#3 Jonathan Benny

Jonathan Benny
  • Sustaining Members
  • 166 posts
  • Other
  • Vancouver, Canada / Paris, France

Posted 16 August 2006 - 06:15 PM

I am in the process of shopping for a light meter. I have looked around on the internet at various websites and I cannot really decide on which one I want/need. I am considering the Sekonic L-558 Cine, if anyone has this meter or has used it, please send me your feedback.

For something that will last, the Spectra IV-A is excellent. I've had one for seven years and it is still spot on when metered against my sekonic analog. Very durable and simple to use. Lasts long on a single battery and has all the features necessary to make ratio calculations, memory etc.

I also have a Sekonic L-558cine which I like but I can't vouch for how long it will last since I've only had it for about a year. The Sekonic is good for me because I like to switch back and forth from spot to incident often which is why I use it now as my primary meter. More expensive and more of a battery consumer. Has a lot of options that might go beyond what is really necessary (for example, I don't really use the filter-factor feature as I tend to calculate that into my ei rating).

But I have never had a problem with the Spectra - it is a solid choice and it comes at a very good price. I would say if you are not really interested in a dual-system meter, then take a very good look at the spectra.

AJB

Glidecam

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Tai Audio