D.E.B.S. Cinematography...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 David Lawrence

David Lawrence
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2006 - 04:50 PM

As a portait photographer, I have to give credit to Dave Mullen. I just saw D.E.B.S. last night, and am amazed at the camera and lighting work. Cudos to the man! I especially like the way he lights Jordana, and think she looks better here than in anything else, video, film or even studio shoot.

#2 Patrick McGowan

Patrick McGowan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • P.A.
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:56 PM

After looking through these forums, I rented Northfolk from Netflix and went to see Akeela and the Bee when it was in theatres. Those are fantastic movies! I really loved both of them. I honestly think that Akeela is one of the best movies I have seen so far this year.

D.E.B.S.? I don't really know how I feel about that one. I am not going to criticize it, but I don't know, it was very strange.

Just keeping it real.

#3 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:21 PM

Just a feeling I've got from reading between the lines here at the forum: don't think it's David's favourite film he's shot, but I could be wrong. David?

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:38 PM

No, "D.E.B.S." is not at the top of my personal best list. That would belong to the Polish Brothers movies, particularly "Northfork". But "D.E.B.S." isn't even trying to be in the same universe as "Northfork" anyway. I think the look for "D.E.B.S." suits the material, although I wish we had the time and budget to push that bubble-gum comic book look further. It's tough to get that right because frontal hard lighting is very difficult to keep it from crossing the line from classy to cheesy, especially if it's not coupled with really high-end production design (not to knock our designer, just that he was dealing with a tight budget.)

As for Jordana, a blind man could light her and she'd look amazing. You could shine a green light under her chin and shoot her close-up with a wide-angle lens and she'd only look slightly less than amazingly beautiful.

But I'm glad someone enjoyed the movie, which I thought was fun. A nice director to work for too.

#5 Scott Christensen

Scott Christensen

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student
  • Tucson, AZ

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:25 PM

No, "D.E.B.S." is not at the top of my personal best list. That would belong to the Polish Brothers movies, particularly "Northfork".

Mostly I lurk but I wanted to thank you David 1) for the photography of Northfork which I thought so beautiful that it gave me a final kick to a passion to learn about cinematography (following links is how I ended up at this website) and 2) for your freedom with your knowledge and expertise. It's a strange and wonderful thing to see anyone be so helpful and giving with their skills.

Actually, two should be diredted to all the professionals on this forum. It's a rare thing to see any group of people be so damn helpful.

Try working in a kitchen or in advertising. I only wish I had sharp knives available during the years in advertising.

So anyway, this content free post thanks everyone who posts for helping a humble hobbiest understand cinematography a little better.

#6 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:29 PM

That would belong to the Polish Brothers movies, particularly "Northfork".

I finally got to see Northfork yesterday on DVD. Those ext landscape compositions were incredible. The pacing and visuals almost remind me of an 'artistic' version of Once Upon a Time in the West, was that an inspiration for the film?

#7 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:10 PM

I finally got to see Northfork yesterday on DVD. Those ext landscape compositions were incredible. The pacing and visuals almost remind me of an 'artistic' version of Once Upon a Time in the West, was that an inspiration for the film?

Indirectly in that the Polish Brothers are huge fans of Leone, in particular "Once Upon a Time in America" (having James Woods ties a hankerchief around his face was a homage to that movie.) I was sort of drawing off all the John Ford films I've seen, plus "Heaven's Gate" a little, since it was shot in that area (but up in the mountains.) And the Alberta, Canada scenes (Smallville) in "Superman".

#8 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 18 August 2006 - 04:04 AM

...and I just saw Twin Falls Idaho today, and when I put the two films on my shelf, I did so proudly; people always come around my dorm to borrow my movies and I can't wait for someone to ask about either of these. They're both very good films. They have a great tone, it's the kind of stuff that makes me want to go make a movie or write a script or something.

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies