#1 Wade Ferrari

Wade Ferrari

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:37 PM

Hi, My name is Wade, i'm 15 years old, and i've pretty much always had a passion for filming movies. About a year ago i started a Production Company called Hippo Hat Productions. We are a group of highschool kids that produce comedy films that we sell to whoever will buy them, but my reason for coming to cinematography.com is because i AM the cinematographer for Hippo Hat and I need some help. The Camera we have been using for the past year was just my family's home video camera. I now have saved up about $650.00 and want to buy a better camera, I have absolutely no clue where or what to look for, i know that we need better quality videos, other than that i dont know what to say... PLEASE HELP!

#2 Dan Horstman

Dan Horstman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Washington, DC

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:40 AM

I'd say keep saving your money. You probably won't be able to get a better quality camera than the home video camera you are currently using for $650.00.

Unless you want to switch over to 16mm...then grab a Krasnogorsk 3 off ebay ($100 to $200), get a light meter and a couple rolls of film (get fresh stock from Kodak)

Of course 16mm means more money down the road for film stock, processing and telecine...but it is the only way to make a significant upgrade in your image quality for the money you have.

#3 Joe Sexton

Joe Sexton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Director

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:52 AM

Look for a used 3 chip camera on ebay. I wouldn't worry about film just yet. It sound like your trying to do things on the cheep. I think you will get much more out of a decent video camera then you would by trying to shoot film. Save a little more and see if you can get a DVX100.

#4 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 20 August 2006 - 01:50 AM

I agree and post some of your videos. I for one would love to see them.

#5 Wade Ferrari

Wade Ferrari

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:01 AM

Ok, So basically my dad says that he will pay the difference if i want to buy like a 1000 dollar camera because he knows that i want this as a career in a couple years. And i don't want to go to 16mm or 35 mm. Is it stupid to buy a High Definition Sony?? Because that's what i have been looking at lately. I have been only really comparing Sony Camera's to other Sony Cameras and this is the one i thought would suit me best but i'm curious what everyone else thinks: It's the DCR-SR100 it's a hard disk camera with 3.3 megapixels and 1/3 advanced HAD CCD

http://www.sonystyle...dycamCamcorders

#6 kentemporary

kentemporary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Producer

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:38 PM

a canon GL1 wouldn't be too bad... and it's right around that price range. if you can find a 2nd hand off ebay or something like that, that would be great. just make sure you got 3CCD... that makes a whole lot of difference... ^_^

#7 Matt Workman

Matt Workman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NYC

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:01 PM

I agree with getting a DVX. Perhaps you can find someone in your area who has one. Try dvxuser.com There are plenty of people who would help you out. Depending where you are.

Gl2's aren't horrible, but I don't think they have 24p.

Good luck.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

CineLab

Glidecam

CineTape

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Ritter Battery