6 replies to this topic

#1 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:27 PM

I saw the trailer for this new action movie in the theater. It looks like it was shot in HD, but the edgy, sharpened deep-focus look seemed to work well for the action in the trailer, sort of a in-your-face, you-are-there clarity to everything. Most of the trailer scenes were shot in the daytime, so it wasn't noisy in that "Miami Vice" manner.

#2 Eric Steelberg ASC

Eric Steelberg ASC
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:21 AM

I met on that movie. At the time they had decided upon using the Genesis. In the end I think I heard they used film. The footage does look a bit digital.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:24 AM

I met on that movie. At the time they had decided upon using the Genesis. In the end I think I heard they used film. The footage does look a bit digital.

Maybe it went through a HD D.I., or at least the trailers did -- but if you look at the trailer, it sure does look like digital origination.

#4 Andy_Alderslade

Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 19 August 2006 - 03:01 PM

Maybe it went through a HD D.I., or at least the trailers did -- but if you look at the trailer, it sure does look like digital origination.

They seem to be using the common 'tricks' that DV shooters use to make video look more interesting or 'filmic', a short shutter speed, long lenses on close-ups.

Whenever I watch a trailer on my eMac, expecially in High Definition Quicktime it always looks its shot on HD, be it Children of Men, Brick...

#5 Tim Dashwood

Tim Dashwood
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:21 AM

I've been trying to figure out what they shot this film on too. There were originally rumours of XL2 and now some new rumours of JVC HD100. However, I found a few production photos that would contradict that.
http://imdb.com/gall...ath_key=0479884
http://www.cinempire.../photos/33.html
http://www.cinemable...9.html?tid=6657

Obviously that's an electronic viewfinder in that one photo, so that rules out the D20. The Viper can't be stripped down that much. I thought of the SI-1920, but have never seen it stripped to just the sensor block.
I don't think it could possibly be the Genesis or Panavision would be promoting it in the AC ads.

The one angle looks like an SR2 without a magazine or battery attached. I started to think they shot Super-16, which would explain the long DOF in most of those wider shots, but then I found out that the filmmakers announced at Comic-Con that they shot in HD.

Maybe it was hybrid film/digital like Collateral. It is a real mystery with films that probably won't have articles written in A.C.

#6 Tim Dashwood

Tim Dashwood
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:45 AM

Someone suggested on another forum that it may be a F950 CCD block.
From the placement of the VF mount and the cable clip, I'm thinking this is the most logical conclusion.

http://www.telecast-.../jh/hkct950.jpg

#7 Michael Maier

Michael Maier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 23 August 2006 - 12:38 PM

David is right. It was shot in HD. The directors and Jason Statham himself had said so. I’m not sure what camera though. They could have mixed cameras, using bigger cameras when they could and small 1/3" ones for the action stuff. A lot of it looks like 1/3” cameras. I saw a picture where I could swear the camera was a XL series one. If so, probably the H1 since the XL2 is SD.

Edited by Michael Maier, 23 August 2006 - 12:41 PM.

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Opal

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport