Canon 1014 XL-S

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stroxell82

stroxell82
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:58 PM

Is this an ideal camera for a crystal sync motor?Is it quiet?Any help would be great.

#2 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 17 August 2006 - 02:35 PM

I believe this camera can take the Film Group's Crystal Motor, I'm not too sure about noise level, it often depends on the amount of lubrication, if a small room, almost any Super 8 camera will be slightly audible but I would imagine this camera is quiet enough for most Sound-Sync situations.

#3 Rick Palidwor

Rick Palidwor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Director

Posted 17 August 2006 - 02:38 PM

Not sure about the crystal sync options but the camera is fairly quiet (I have the 814 XLS). It was made as a sound camera (that's the "S" in the model number) and as such was designed to be quieter than your average super 8 camera. However, it is not as quiet as the Nizo 6080 etc, which have rubber belts and run extremely quiet.

Rick

#4 Douglas Hunter

Douglas Hunter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:18 PM

Is this an ideal camera for a crystal sync motor?Is it quiet?Any help would be great.

Yes, pretty much it is. The 1014's I've heard are very quiet for a super 8 camera and as I understand it there are two ways to do the crystal conversion: You can use the film group's external box, but I would also call Spectra in Burbank. I was talking to their camera tech last week and I *believe* he said he has an on board conversion that he does. I may be remembering that wrong but its worth checking into. Of course no super 8 camera was manufactured to very high standards in terms of quiet operations so getting a barney made is a really good idea. Custom Upholstery Products makes barney's for Beaulieu cameras, I'm sure they could make one for the 1014.

#5 Thomas Fant

Thomas Fant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:27 PM

Yes, pretty much it is. The 1014's I've heard are very quiet for a super 8 camera and as I understand it there are two ways to do the crystal conversion: You can use the film group's external box, but I would also call Spectra in Burbank. I was talking to their camera tech last week and I *believe* he said he has an on board conversion that he does. I may be remembering that wrong but its worth checking into. Of course no super 8 camera was manufactured to very high standards in terms of quiet operations so getting a barney made is a really good idea. Custom Upholstery Products makes barney's for Beaulieu cameras, I'm sure they could make one for the 1014.

Do you have a url for custom upholstery ?

#6 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 17 August 2006 - 04:45 PM

Do you have any idea how much the Spectra Conversion costs ?

#7 Douglas Hunter

Douglas Hunter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:04 PM

Do you have any idea how much the Spectra Conversion costs ?

No clue. call 'em and talk to the tec. really nice guy clearly likes talking about the cameras and what he can do with 'em. He is also working on a very sweet rig for the 1014 so that it can go on a steady cam or a remote head. but you didn't hear that from me. ;-)

also:
http://www.customuph....com/index.html

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Technodolly