#1 Jordan Brade

Jordan Brade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles, California

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:19 AM

I just recieved two 100' rolls of film off of ebay, and I'm using one as a dummy load to help me practice loading the magazine of my Eclair NPR (also from ebay). This is the first time I've ran film in it since I've bought it.

Any ways, When I looked at the emulsion of the dummy load after running it through the camera, I found tiny scratches that just barely catch the light. I switched my magazine and loaded the camera with the other magazine, and I got the same result. Are really thin scratches normal? Would I be able to make one short film before I have to send it in?

Also, who offers the best service with the eclair and offers the best pricing?

Thank you for your time!

#2 Bernie O'Doherty

Bernie O'Doherty
  • Sustaining Members
  • 232 posts
  • Other
  • Newark Valley, NY

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:40 AM

Hi, Jordan,

Let me start by saying that it is not normal to have any kind of scratch on your film. The Eclair cameras, like all other 16mm/Super 16mm cameras, were designed to run scratch-free. It could be that the aperture plate has an imperfection or that the interior of the magazine has a burr or machine filing that's causing the problem.

I've been working with NPRs (and Eclairs generally) since they started making them in France and would be happy to take a look at your rig (estimates are free). You can read more about my work in any Eclair forum (or check Google).

Cheers,
Bernie O'Doherty

#3 Dan Horstman

Dan Horstman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Washington, DC

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:22 AM

One thing to check is the loop.

It should be 12 frames. Make sure that it is distributed evenly when you push the film in against the pressure plate.

Also make sure you are threading around all the rollers properly. I had a scratching problem on my ACL for a while...and it was just cause the guy I had loading kept missing the last roller.

#4 Hans Engstrom

Hans Engstrom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Sweden

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:27 AM

There shouldn´t be any scratches on the neg. As the same scratches appeared with different mags the problem is most likely to be in the camera and not the mags (if the loading are done correctly). Check the gate for imperfections in the finish, are there any emulsion build ups anywhere? The location of the scratches on the emulsion can help you find whats causing them. Anyway the only thing to do is to get it serviced by a camera tech.

Edited by Hans Engstrom, 17 August 2006 - 11:28 AM.

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

CineTape