New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:10 AM

Hello:

My question is:

From the moment a days shoot is completed with a Panasonic P2 HD Camcorder, what is the correct procedure to ensure the security of the recorded data?

A) Is there an available hardware solution, meaning a way to simultaneously download to two discreet storage platforms and ship one to safe storage or;

B) Can the days footage be transmitted via satellite to a safe storage facility economically.

What is the norm, safest and newest technology?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Patti

#2 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:40 PM

If your looking to do it on the cheap, you can download the cards to the firestore drive or a laptop. Put those on your media drive for editing and make a backup copy with DVD-Rs or LTO tape backup. You asked about an economical satelite option, I can tell you sat time isnt very cheap, and the gear is even worse. I don't know if you can get a good bandwidth satalite uplink (I have only heard of limited internet bandwidth, and I'm not even sure the upload goes through the sat, it might still go through phone lines, other than that you would have to compress to MPEG to get it to stream video), but internet is an option through cable or T1.

I would just store locally, preferably on a RAID with some good redundancy. Cheaper methods work too (the key is to make sure the data is always in at least 2 places, and you only use one copy to edit with, one to archive)

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Visual Products

The Slider

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera