One big unit or two small units

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Christopher Wedding

Christopher Wedding
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:18 PM

I'm shooting something where I'd really like to make someones skin glow softly. I like the effect of a 5K through bead board, but would two Mighties or 2 1200 HMI's do the same thing? Any idea of what the exposure would be if I was shooting at 320 ASA and the lights could be about 5 feet away from the subject?

Thanks.

#2 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Culver City, California

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:55 PM

How about 2500 18 HMI?s through ½ steel. I bet that would be really soft. Just kidding.

I don?t think you need to go through the trouble of pounding light through a bead board to get a soft source. If your source is a 4? x 4? a material that is thick enough to glow evenly with out a hot spot it is as soft as the source can be. There are several materials that have that degree of diffusion. 1090 by great American Market will do that. Another way to achieve a full 4 x 4 soft source is to double diffuse your key light with a small 2 x 3 of 216 and then put it into a heavy diffusion like a full grid cloth you can get the full glowing effect you are looking for. You can also ?book light? by bouncing the light into a bead board and then into your 4 x 4. I think all of these techniques will give you a full 4 x 4 soft source with more efficiency then lighting through bead board.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post