#1 Jimmy Ren

Jimmy Ren
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Student
  • Sacramento, CA

Posted 18 August 2006 - 03:59 AM

Hi. I was wondering when I take my light meter reading, what shutter speed should I adjust to when I'm filming at 24 fps? I don't know if it matters or not, but I'm filming with an Eclair ACL2.

Obviously, I'm new to filming. I was wondering if anybody could suggest an easy to read, comprehensive book on the basics of how to shoot on 16mm. Thanks!

#2 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 18 August 2006 - 05:38 AM

Hi. I was wondering when I take my light meter reading, what shutter speed should I adjust to when I'm filming at 24 fps? I don't know if it matters or not, but I'm filming with an Eclair ACL2.

Obviously, I'm new to filming. I was wondering if anybody could suggest an easy to read, comprehensive book on the basics of how to shoot on 16mm. Thanks!

as in stills shutter speed ? I'm not sure of the shutter angle on your Eclair but if you can get that info the answer is simply:

(shutter angle/360)*(1/fps)

for example if the shutter angle were 180deg and you are shooting at 24fps:

180/360 * 1/24 = 1/48th of a second

#3 Dan Horstman

Dan Horstman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Washington, DC

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:51 AM

The ACL shutter is 175 degrees. 175/360 x 1/24 = 1/49.44 (round up to 1/50 of a second)

What kind of light meter are you using Jimmy? Some allow you to change the shutter angle and will allow you to adjust for different frame rates.

And as far as books. The Filmmakers Handbook was the main text book when I was in school. You can get it for about $15 on amazon. It has pretty much everything you'll need.

Edited by Dan Horstman, 18 August 2006 - 10:55 AM.

#4 kentemporary

kentemporary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Producer

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:05 PM

aw man, the guys who posted before me are experts. they got those calculations down already. me, i still mostly wing it. so basically i'll just say ditto... LOL ^o^

#5 Bernie O'Doherty

Bernie O'Doherty
  • Sustaining Members
  • 232 posts
  • Other
  • Newark Valley, NY

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:31 AM

HI, just wanted to ad something. In case your camera happens to be a S16 with a 144degree shutter your shutter speed would be 1/60 sec. 144/360x24 =1/60.
Cheers, Bernie o

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

CineTape

Wooden Camera