#1 dr_gonzo

dr_gonzo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • BROOKLYN USA

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:33 PM

So Im shooting a limo scene using 7222 stock...I have a power invertor and I will only be able to run 400W through it to light the scene which will likely be done with a Kino Diva, and inkies or clip lights....

I want to be able to have a very shallow depth of field and shoot around a 2.8...but at the same time I would like to have high contrast in the scene.

Using a red filter on the camera would block far too much light, but I was thinking I would just gel all of my lights with deep red....

The scene involved two grey suited caucasion actors....will the red gels have the proper effect Im going for??

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:44 PM

You don't really need colored lighting or gels to increase contrast for an interior scene, or at worst, just use a yellow filter.

The reason red increases contrast outdoors is that it makes faces go overexposed and blue skies and blue shadows from skylight to go underexposed. But indoors, you can create most of that contrast with lighting and just expose the faces hotter if desired, or use paler make-up. You can use a yellow filter if you really want help in lightening skintones, but I think you could get away with just lighting for contrast and exposing the faces a stop over.

If you want to exaggerate the contrast further, use Plus-X neg instead of Double-X and push it one stop.

#3 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:07 PM

Using a red filter on the camera would block far too much light, but I was thinking I would just gel all of my lights with deep red....

The red filter will block the light wherever you use it

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Visual Products

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera