2 replies to this topic

#1 Alex Fuchs

Alex Fuchs
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:22 AM

Hi, I'm planning an shortfilm project and the production will maybe produce this project with the M2-Adapter (http://www.redrockmi...m/products.html). Because I'm in Germany and nobody of my friends has worked with this system yet, I'm looking for somebody who does it allready and can tell me something about it. We shoot the short with the Sony Z1 (HDV/720p/Pal)).
Thx Alex

#2 Daniel Stigler

Daniel Stigler
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Berlin, Germany

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:02 AM

My DoP bought one to play arround which arrived just last week. I have to say the Redrock isn't built with the precision an optical device needs to be built and it has a lot of flaws.
Besides that the M2 can't be shipped to germany by Redrock, as P&S holds the patent for moving groundglasses.

Feel free to give me a call at 0173 6673476 and i can explain all the issues in german which works a little better for me than english.

#3 Matt Workman

Matt Workman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NYC

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:56 AM

The M2 is great for what it is. With that being said a $1200 box with $200 lenses isn't the ideal system, but it definitely offers advantages over straight Z1U footage.

I used to insist on using the M2, but it is a lot more work. There are always sharpness issues and if you don't have and AC its quite a distraction when you should be lighting. Its good to practice with: having consistant field of view, depth of field, and extra weight for steadicam but I have been leaning towards shooting without it lately. If the production can't afford lighting/grip/crew then the M2/mini35 isn't going to help much.

If you can get a P+S Technic with a Zeiss set, its a more stable system. But I am starting to really dislike DV/HD with any adapter. If you absolutely need the DOF at the sacrifice of sharpness, then its a great tool. But I would consider shooting without it depending on the production.

Opinion of an M2 owner.

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery