2 replies to this topic

#1 Terrence L Daniels

Terrence L Daniels
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Producer

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:38 PM

this is a teaser that my friend chris jones is working on. some of the stuff i've shot...well in this clip more than half...i think it's looking pretty good and not because of me i think chris is editing the project nicely. his vision is coming to pass.

Posted Image
Where One Stands

both files are about 16MBs. right now i'm a little concerned with the quicktime there's a couple of glitches in the beginning. i'm trying to figure out why that's happening...so this time around the windows media file came out better :unsure:

#2 Matthew W. Phillips

Matthew W. Phillips
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1792 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 August 2006 - 05:46 PM

Okay LeVon, I checked out your buddies work. Here's my synopsis.

He has the right idea with shots and such but he doesn't have the lighting down nearly tight enough for shooting on video. The highlights are often blown out which makes it obvious that it's not film (assuming that's what he is going for.) He could benefit from:

A) Shooting on negative film stock (this would smooth out the contrast and not blow out as easily.)

OR

B) Use a Low contrast filter along with a low-rate ND filter. This would lower his stops a bit and add some details in the shadows.

A BIG mistake some digital shooters make is trying to make their footage overly contrasty. Because digital, especially at the prosumer level, has a much narrower latitude than film, a shooter needs to take
care that their shots don't blow out on one end or get murky on the other end. Try to keep as much detail in the shadows as you can and avoid "crushing the blacks" because if you ever do film out, that detail is gone for good...can't get it back.

#3 Terrence L Daniels

Terrence L Daniels
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Producer

Posted 20 August 2006 - 05:57 PM

thanks for that and funny that you mention the "overly contrasty" because that's what he's going for...i think because he has made statements to that end. anyway i shot most of what's in the teaser and a few of the shots that look overly dark do have more light...he darkened them in post. i will pass on what you've said.

though i must admit time caught up to us on one night. the two shots where he's kicking pete and juan we had started well before sunset and then the sun set and darkness quickly rolled in. i should've set up my "night" lights :)

Edited by LeVon, 20 August 2006 - 05:57 PM.

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Opal

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Visual Products

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery