Andre LeBlanc
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:39 AM

Hi,

I'm nearing the end of post production on a short film shot on HD, and I'm ready to look into color correction options. I've been calling around different post houses, and asking what they use for color correction. Many --as suspected-- use a Da Vinci 2k system. But I spoke to a few places that use something called Discreet Lustre. Has anyone had any experience color correcting on this system? Is it similar to a Da Vinci, or is it an entirely different beast? I've had some exposure to other Discreet products, but this one is new to me. Thanks in advance!

#2 Michael Most

Michael Most
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:50 AM

Hi,

I'm nearing the end of post production on a short film shot on HD, and I'm ready to look into color correction options. I've been calling around different post houses, and asking what they use for color correction. Many --as suspected-- use a Da Vinci 2k system. But I spoke to a few places that use something called Discreet Lustre. Has anyone had any experience color correcting on this system? Is it similar to a Da Vinci, or is it an entirely different beast? I've had some exposure to other Discreet products, but this one is new to me. Thanks in advance!

A Lustre is used primarily as a DI color correction device. It is not a video system, as is the DaVinci. You cannot pass live video through it, color correct and output that color correction in real time. It is a data device (i.e., computer software) that requires preloading of the material in file form, followed by color correction, followed by rendering, followed by output to video if needed. That's why, as with essentially all software systems, it's happiest in the DI world at the professional level.

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Glidecam

The Slider

Visual Products