Daniel Wallens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Grip
  • New York City

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:50 AM

Hello all,

I may soon be 2nd AC'ing on a job using the 535, and although I easily found the Quick Guide for it, I was wondering where I might find the full manual.

Also, is there anything I should know about the 535 in particular? One question I had was what is the difference with the -B version (I still dont know if this is what we are using).

thank you
:)

#2 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:00 PM

Jon Fauer wrote an excellent book for Arri entitled "The Arri 535 Book." This will have everything you need to know and much more.

#3 Daniel Stigler

Daniel Stigler
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Berlin, Germany

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:17 PM

One question I had was what is the difference with the -B version (I still dont know if this is what we are using).

Not much. The B has a different viewfinder, slightly different control panels and two "horns" (handgrips) while the A has only one.

Edited by Daniel Stigler, 22 August 2006 - 01:22 PM.

#4 Eric Steelberg ASC

Eric Steelberg ASC
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:25 PM

Actually, as far as I know the "A" has an electronic shutter, the "B" does not...it's only manually adjustable.

I think the "A" is a great underrated camera.

#5 Daniel Stigler

Daniel Stigler
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Berlin, Germany

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:26 PM

Oh, and the A has electronically adjustable shutter and does 3-50 fps while the shutter of the B can only be set manually and it does 3-60fps.

#6 Alex Haspel

Alex Haspel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • vienna, austria

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:54 PM

i read that the 535A has 16,8kg, while the B has only 14.. (with 120m mag, without lens)
does anyone know where that almost 3kg weight difference come from?

#7 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 22 August 2006 - 02:18 PM

One good thing to remember is that when you open the movement block to thread the film, do NOT advance the loop knobs while it's open. Since the mechanics of the pulldown mechanism are now disengaged from the rest of the camera, you'll have trouble closing it again since it's 'out of its slot', so to speak. So open, thread, close and THEN adjust the loops.

Otherwise a pretty fail-safe camera that'll keep on truckin' for years. Oh, the old video assist on the 'A' cam isn't too hot, but most of them have been replaced.

#8 didier Frateur

didier Frateur

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 23 August 2006 - 04:45 AM

i read that the 535A has 16,8kg, while the B has only 14.. (with 120m mag, without lens)

Mainly the cameratop. The original 535 had a fixed viewfinder (which could be adjusted in more directions than the B) and carrying handle (containing the timecode battery). There was also a full camera control and readout on the right side.
Later they brought out the 535B, without this controls, with manual shutter, and a redesigned viewfinder system, that could easily be switched for a 100% videotop for steadicam and remote head use. A the same time they simplified the viewfinder (less movements, and no longer an anamorphic desqueeser) and took a good look at the modular handlesystem of the Moviecam compact.
Now you can also get a 535 "AB" which is the original 535 with the B's viewfinder and handle system, but still an electronic shutter and right side controls.

#9 didier Frateur

didier Frateur

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 23 August 2006 - 04:46 AM

Mainly the cameratop. The original 535 had a fixed viewfinder (which could be adjusted in more directions than the B) and carrying handle (containing the timecode battery). There was also a full camera control and readout on the right side.
Later they brought out the 535B, without this controls, with manual shutter, and a redesigned viewfinder system, that could easily be switched for a 100% videotop for steadicam and remote head use. A the same time they simplified the viewfinder (less movements, and no longer an anamorphic desqueeser) and took a good look at the modular handlesystem of the Moviecam compact.
Now you can also get a 535 "AB" which is the original 535 with the B's viewfinder and handle system, but still an electronic shutter and right side controls.

#10 Daniel Wallens

Daniel Wallens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Grip
  • New York City

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:41 PM

Thanks for the great replies, everyone :) much appreciated.

Now, would anyone know where I could get the full manual for the 535? I found the 14-page Quick Guide no problem, but I seem to be having trouble locating the full manual.

Thanks again!

#11 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 August 2006 - 02:15 PM

Does a full manual even exist? All I've ever seen is the quick guide and the IVS manual.

#12 Jon Kukla

Jon Kukla
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:24 PM

Does a full manual even exist? All I've ever seen is the quick guide and the IVS manual.

I actually asked at Arri Media, and after many moons of looking, they were unable to find anything better than a shrug and a printed out copy of the Quick Start guide I already had. Oh well.

#13 didier Frateur

didier Frateur

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:02 AM

they do exist: one for the 535 and another one for 535B. I do have a copy from each, but not in pdf, only printed versions. maybe one day i 'll have the time to scan them..? The originals came from Arri rental in Munich.

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab