1 reply to this topic

#1 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:29 PM

Well this one will certainly spark some debates around America's water coolers:

The 13th season of reality TV show Survivor has already sparked controversy by announcing that contestants will be divided into teams based on their race. The 20 participants will be divided up into four tribes - African-American, Asian-American, hispanic and white. Survivor host Jeff Probst defended the decision on US TV's The Early Show saying, "The idea for this actually came from the criticism that Survivor was not ethnically diverse enough. Because, for whatever reason, we've always had a low number of minority applicants for the show. So we set out and said, 'Let's turn this criticism into creative for the show.' I think it fits in perfectly with what Survivor does, as it is a social experiment and adding another layer to that experiment, which is taking the show to a completely different level." Survivor: Cook Islands will premiere on the CBS network on September 14 and will feature a wide range of individuals from all walks of life including a heavy metal guitarist, a boxer/waitress, a jazz musician and a professional volleyball player.

#2 Jon-Hebert Barto

Jon-Hebert Barto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:17 PM

This will be interesting on many different levels...

I don't like "reality" shows very much, but this will make for "good" TV. I believe that every human has a little bigot in them deep, deep down, and this will bring it out with the prodding of TV producers...Its only human, and then on top of that, having a competition with a clear and embraced division of race. Its actually kinda sick..
This show will heighten hidden potential for hysteria by all the competitors, IMHO.

I'm not going to watch the entire season but this demands at least one viewing...again, its only human to look at a train wreck.

Edited by Jon-Hebert Barto, 24 August 2006 - 11:18 PM.

CineLab

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Metropolis Post