9 replies to this topic

#1 Cole Webley

Cole Webley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:03 PM

Here is yet another example of the HVX at work. An example of its latitude etc. It is also posted in "please critique my work" but I thought I would drop it in here as well.

http://j-four.com/videos/Rainbows.mov

#2 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:27 AM

Beautiful work (and beautiful ladies, as well)! I especially liked your mix of high and low angle shots, shallow focus long lens work and wide angle handheld shots, and the overcranked dancing girl shots.

Seems like you had a lot of coverage - did you use multiple cameras? What was your strategy to light and cover the band, given your time and budget constraints? All the women seem to have eyelights in their close-ups - did you spend a lot of time relighting for them?

What's the name of the band?

#3 Cole Webley

Cole Webley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 August 2006 - 02:07 AM

Satsuki,

We did indeed have mutiple cameras - we had three cameras all equiped with 2 8G P2 cards. We had thirty minutes to pre-light and they only had time to play the song four times after their sound checks. I had a 2ft. Kino Flo kit, 4 mini moles, and 1 2k softbox. With such little time I knew I needed to focus on making sure their faces were lit enough to get good detail and I knew I wanted a strong backligt to really create a nice border between them and the green background.

The bands name is "Tilly and the Wall" check them out on their website. http://www.tillyandthewall.com/tatw/

The way we got this "gig" was from a previous video we shot of them on S16 film. After seeing that they asked us to shoot this song (which is the lead song on their new album). We had planned on doing it on 35mm but they weren't able to come into town a day earlier like we had hoped - they had been on tour for a month and were exhausted. Since we weren't going to have time to shoot it right on 35mm we decided to shoot it on the HVX's - anyways thats how it came about.

go to our preliminary website www.j-four.com and choose "Tilly and the Wall" to see the earlier video of a different song shot on S16 film. This was also a three camera shoot - we had an Eclair, an Aaton, and a CP-16 --- some of our film was really old which would explain some of the ultra grainy shots.

So, in answer to your question -- No, I wasn't able to spend a lot of time lighting them -- in fact, they didn't come in until I had already lit for them (I had to ladies their helping us with camera stuff that I had stand in at times to check my lighting) when they did arrive I tweaked their backlights a bit to make sure they were all in their lights.

It worked out well enough I think for time constraints. In fact, the manager of the band called from London asking for a copy on Beta SP because he was sending it to MTV 2. So the last few days we have been putting final touches and getting it ready for broadcast. Great deal for the band - since everything was on our dime but also great deal for us as I am sure this will help with our ( J-Four ) reel.

Thanks again for the comments and interest.

#4 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 25 August 2006 - 02:20 AM

Cole,

I just read your other post which answered all of my questions, d'oh! Thanks for taking the time to answer them again. I'll check out your earlier video. As far as your production woes are concerned, I think you pulled it off despite them because I'm definitely buying their album when it comes out!

#5 Rolfe Klement

Rolfe Klement
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Director
  • London | LA

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:29 AM

very nice work!

I like the energetic tone. I love the capturing of the performance - it makes me want to see them in concert (which is a reason musicians do music videos - as opposed to look how clever our high art concept is :) )

The make up is also fantatstic - or else they have Scarlett J skin

My only issues (and they are minor)

somewhere near the middle, either the camera work or the editing could do more.
not sure if it was intentional but handheld looks best trying to be still - but doing the slight movement is weird (but this could be intentional) - this is different from the whip pans and crash focus effects - where you do need to move
The tapping sections needed something in the background - cause they do not look as professional as the rest
Art direction wise the background space (past the green) needed something else - smoke, fog or dressing

but otherwise loved it!

thanks

Rolfe

#6 Cole Webley

Cole Webley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:47 PM

Rolfe,

I agree that the shots that are moving alot are distracting. I wish we had more tripods but we only had one and three cameras. We were only able to have the band play the song three times and the director told me that we needed to have done it a couple more times -- I wish we could have gotten more coverage, this seems to solve some problems.

The smoke/fog is a good idea for the background or maybe some kind of material, like you said is a good idea. I am trying to learn more about using complementary colors etc. to make things more visually interesting and maybe I could have done more in the background. Hopefully next time we will be able to get inside the place sooner then 30 min. before the shoot.

Thanks again.

#7 sibte hassan

sibte hassan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:16 AM

Cole,
I really like the video, two reasons, the music and the background have the same playful feel to it. The women are gorgeous!! adds tons to the look of the video.
Editing is slightly loose which could be a stylistic thing. One suggestion i would like to make is to try to stay away from closeups while being on wide angle. It just simply distorts the pretty faces. The close up of tapping on the steel plate could be lit properly.
I can imagine the constraints but one (wide) master shot would have been the cherry on top. Overall its very nice!!!

#8 Luc Meisel

Luc Meisel

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:59 PM

I would love to know what was used with the HVX?

M2? with what lens?

I love the over all lookk and colors, brillant example of the HVX at work.

Thanks

#9 Cole Webley

Cole Webley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:39 AM

we didn't use any other lenses, no mini 35 adapter, etc. Just the camera and everything that comes with it.

Thanks,

Cole

#10 Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Salt Lake City, UTAH

Posted 10 November 2006 - 03:23 PM

Whoa, Kilby Court, that totally tripped me out. I used to play there all the time years ago.

Anyway, nice video.

- Greg

Willys Widgets

Opal

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery