James Mann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:40 AM

Hello friends at home and abroad.

I am shooting a television show in a few weeks. We will be traveing to France, Italy and India.
The production company is based in the U.S and ownes all of its own gear which we will be bringing with us on our travels.

We have a fairly small lighting package coming with us: An 800watt HMI joker, a 3 light Tungsten Arri Kit, a couple of LED light panels and a few china balls.

From my memory the Joker Ballast has a 208v switch on it, and I have seen 208v incandescent bulbs floating around the office, but what else will we need for everything to work? Some type of Edison Three prong to regional prong adapter? Will we require any type of power transformer and/or converter to charge our camera and LED batteries? Or to power out incadescent heads?

What other things am I not thinking about? What are some of the other considerations?

Please note, in each country we will have a few locals acting as our guides/translators etc. So if we need to find things once we are out there we can. But I would love to be totally prepared when the plane touches down.

Thanks

James Mann

#2 Rob van Gelder

Rob van Gelder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:30 PM

I can only talk about what is available in europe.

There are several types of wall-outlets and they can change from country to country.
The French have a plug with round pins and a hole in the middle (off center) for ground, in the netherlands you'll find similar round pins, but with 2 metal tabs on the side for ground.
The english system is different too, 3 fat square or flat pins, with fuse inside .
And more differences can exist. italian might be similar to France, but i am not sure.

It is best to get some of those world-traveler kits with many conversions.
Here is a (dutch) website with them, I am sure you can find similar in the US.
http://www.computerw...kel.asp?ID=1684

Please keep in mind that throughout Europe the voltage is 230 volts, not 208!
Many modern electronic equipment has a range between 100 and 240 volts, but check before you leave. It's often written on the power supply or the unit.

With lamps on 208 volts: they will live short and brightly!

Have a good time!

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Opal