hello guys, i am thinking of buying a kiev 16 u. what can you tell
me about it?
-how many minutes of film can the kiev 16 shoot? i heard k3 doesn't last
and i want long takes on my films.

-can it be converted into super 16?

-tell me its pros and cons.

thanks!

The good camera.
The russian 16 mm cine camera Kiev-16 U have a two versions, Kiev-16 U with mechanical spring motor, Kiev-16 UE with mechanical and electrical motor ( rare edition ), Kiev-16 UE with electrical motor.
This is camera have turret with 3 lenses , 12.5 mm, 20 mm, 50 mm.
The lens mount have screew M31.
The camera have counter of films on meters, counter of film on frames.
Kiev-16 U with mechanical spring motor have speed up to 64 fps,
Kiev-16 UE with electrical motor have forward trace and reverse trace and you can make trick effect ( fade-in ).

The mechanical motor must run film 20..30 sec with full load spring.
The electrical motor can run of a full 100 ft roll without stop.
Kiev can be modify on Super 16, but, this is procedure not easy.
The gog wheel of camera have cogs from one side and can use film with perforation from one side.
The minimum volume of modification - increase size of film gate.
But, need move a optical axis of turret and lenses, for turret camera this is complex procedure.
Will need re-centering of ground glass, set new marks on ground glass and make fullporceudre of adjust of
ground plass position.
I can not confirm information, can 20 mm and 50 mm prime lenses cover of Super 16 film gate, will need make test, but, 12.5 mm lens not cover of Super 16.

Kiev-16 UE with electrical motor can be modify for use of AA accumulators or 12 v external battery.
The versions of modifications you can ask from me.

#3 Marco Van

Marco Van
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Student

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:55 AM

thanks man. i read in the kodak film calculator that a 100ft roll would let me film for about 2 minutes and 46 seconds non-stop, it means this camera (the electric one) should be good enough for my style ( i love long, single takes). and yes, how much would it cost to modify the kiev 16 UE to have a 12 v external battery?

have you tried shooting some film with the camera, olex? how many minutes before the film lasted on the kiev 16 UE? and i hope i can see clips of what a film looks like when shot on Kiev. it seems to be unpopular to most 16mm users.

#4 Herb Montes

Herb Montes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Other
  • Gulf Coast of Texas

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:58 AM

thanks man. i read in the kodak film calculator that a 100ft roll would let me film for about 2 minutes and 46 seconds non-stop, it means this camera (the electric one) should be good enough for my style ( i love long, single takes). and yes, how much would it cost to modify the kiev 16 UE to have a 12 v external battery?

have you tried shooting some film with the camera, olex? how many minutes before the film lasted on the kiev 16 UE? and i hope i can see clips of what a film looks like when shot on Kiev. it seems to be unpopular to most 16mm users.

I have a 16 UE I bought from Olex but have mostly shot Fomapan through it. And he did give me an adapter plug to run it off an AC adapter so I can shoot single frames on my animation stand. I don't use it much now that I have my Bolex. It does use a lot of AA cells to operate so an external battery pack would be a good idea. There is a connector on the bottom of the motor pack you can hook up an external battery to but it is a non-standard plug. The picture quality is comparable to any good consumer 16mm like a K-3.

#5 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 27 August 2006 - 11:54 AM

The good camera.
The russian 16 mm cine camera Kiev-16 U have a two versions, Kiev-16 U with mechanical spring motor, Kiev-16 UE with mechanical and electrical motor ( rare edition ), Kiev-16 UE with electrical motor.

Olex, how much for a good Kiev-16 UE when you have them? Seems like the non-motorized version goes for a little less than a K-3 in general.

#6 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

Posted 27 August 2006 - 02:23 PM

The questions about price of modifications, please, send me on my direct e-mail olex@a-teleport.com.
I will send answer with pictures and price list.
I can not show all pictures on forum.

CineTape

Opal

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies