#1 George Heredia

George Heredia

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:46 PM

I'm considering buying the HVX-200 for a project and wanted to know if there is any difference in quality between recording on the P2 card or tape?

#2 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:01 PM

I'm considering buying the HVX-200 for a project and wanted to know if there is any difference in quality between recording on the P2 card or tape?

It's really getting annoying explaining this. You could search the forum for the same question asked a million times.

this camera is not for "A" project. It's a god damned workhorse that is pushing the limits of technology.

In my time of use with this camera and in my opinion, there should only be Digital to HDD or Film. Rewinding tapes and dealing with logging and capturing is dead.

#3 Mr. Shannon W. Rawls

Mr. Shannon W. Rawls
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Producer
  • Lemiert Park(Hollywood), CA.

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:30 PM

George, I can feel the heat coming from Jamie's computer. *smile*

The reason he's pissed, is because you're question is so basic, that it indicates that you hve done absolutely no research on your own. instead, you just registered an account and asked a question.

Please, do some research on your own and you will realize that tape can't record 80% of the formats and speeds this camera can do. So it's silly to compare the two.

I could answer your question, but that's contributing to the welfare system , and I don't beleive in it. Also if I answer then you will likely just ask another obvious question without doing any investigation on your own. Instead, I encourage you to get up and do some work and learn your questions by 'reading' the thousands of places and reviews on the internet about the HVX200 and how it works.

Good luck.

#4 George Heredia

George Heredia

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:41 PM

George, I can feel the heat coming from Jamie's computer. *smile*

The reason he's pissed, is because you're question is so basic, that it indicates that you hve done absolutely no research on your own. instead, you just registered an account and asked a question.

Please, do some research on your own and you will realize that tape can't record 80% of the formats and speeds this camera can do. So it's silly to compare the two.

I could answer your question, but that's contributing to the welfare system , and I don't beleive in it. Also if I answer then you will likely just ask another obvious question without doing any investigation on your own. Instead, I encourage you to get up and do some work and learn your questions by 'reading' the thousands of places and reviews on the internet about the HVX200 and how it works.

Good luck.

Shannon,

Thanks for the succinct reply.

I did search but did not find exactly what I was looking for in an answer. I apologize for p!ssing off people here, and in the future will not bore you with such questions. I really thought that I had found a forum that would answer the question, and in many, many ways you have.

I was neither comparing the formats nor intended to offend anyone's integrity here. Just looking for answers.

So, my apologies... I will now go hide back under a rock. :blink:

#5 Paul Wizikowski

Paul Wizikowski
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2006 - 12:15 PM

So, George do you have any other questions that may more specifically get the answers your looking for? There are far too many answers and considerations and variables that apply to "quality". Perhaps, if you are still needing help, you could be more specific about your project and its needs from the camera/recording format.

#6 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 28 August 2006 - 12:30 PM

Shannon,

Thanks for the succinct reply.

I did search but did not find exactly what I was looking for in an answer. I apologize for p!ssing off people here, and in the future will not bore you with such questions. I really thought that I had found a forum that would answer the question, and in many, many ways you have.

I was neither comparing the formats nor intended to offend anyone's integrity here. Just looking for answers.

So, my apologies... I will now go hide back under a rock. :blink:

George, I knew you would take it the wrong way. I want you to understand that this forum doesn't cater to a first time poster that doesn't try to take advantage of the wealth of information here.

Tell us about your project and what you need. Why are you still thinking about shooting to tape? Are you worried about "loosing" your footage on the P2 cards; doesn't happen.

Use the search feature, here, and use google. Saying you couldn't find what you were looking for is rediculous.

#7 George Heredia

George Heredia

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director

Posted 28 August 2006 - 01:34 PM

George, I knew you would take it the wrong way. I want you to understand that this forum doesn't cater to a first time poster that doesn't try to take advantage of the wealth of information here.

Tell us about your project and what you need. Why are you still thinking about shooting to tape? Are you worried about "loosing" your footage on the P2 cards; doesn't happen.

Use the search feature, here, and use google. Saying you couldn't find what you were looking for is rediculous.

Jamie,

You're making a lot of incorrect assumptions.

I did not take it the wrong way. On the contrary, I have a very thick skin. I could not search in this forum until I registered (odd), and once registered I did search and read many threads. I simply did not find the specific answer I was looking for. Yes, I could have spent another 3-4+ hours looking here and elsewhere. But I needed the answer to make a business decision, not an artistic one. And I was on the phone with the person that needed that decision.

If I had the time to spend half a day on such a simple question, I would have spent it here, instead of putting together a production, and discussing schedules with SAG actors.

I now have the answer I sought, courtesy of a DP that I contacted this morning.

Rest assured, that I will continue to visit the site and will use the much discussed search feature...

Best of luck...

#8 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:15 PM

Jamie,

You're making a lot of incorrect assumptions.

I did not take it the wrong way. On the contrary, I have a very thick skin. I could not search in this forum until I registered (odd), and once registered I did search and read many threads. I simply did not find the specific answer I was looking for. Yes, I could have spent another 3-4+ hours looking here and elsewhere. But I needed the answer to make a business decision, not an artistic one. And I was on the phone with the person that needed that decision.

If I had the time to spend half a day on such a simple question, I would have spent it here, instead of putting together a production, and discussing schedules with SAG actors.

I now have the answer I sought, courtesy of a DP that I contacted this morning.

Rest assured, that I will continue to visit the site and will use the much discussed search feature...

Best of luck...

What would have helped you most was asking a specific question. Putting this thread aside, good luck with the film, and don't be shy to ask your specific questions in the future.

#9 Seth Melnick

Seth Melnick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:54 AM

An example would show why everyone reacted this way to the question.

If you went to the panasonic site and looked at the camera brochure you would see that you can shoot HD or SD to cards and ONLY SD to tape - already the question is answered and you would know there was more research needed.

#10 Tom Polson

Tom Polson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 October 2006 - 11:03 AM

George,
For a quick answer to your question. For HD cameras in the price range of the HVX200, the P2 card is a much better recording medium than recording to tape as far as quality goes. It records in the same standard as the high end Varicam and maintains image quality through post. In addition to all of the framerates including slomo, it can record DVCPro-50 which comparable to DigiBeta. For HD, all other solutions use HDV which has to be one of the worst formats ever created. Aside from the compression artifacting, HDV tape has a number of issues when going to post including in ability to do reliable recapture. As for workflow. P2 data can be copied to a firewire drive and backed up on DVD. if needed, it can later be transfered to DVCPro HD tape without any loss of quality

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Opal

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Abel Cine