First 16mm project!!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Luke Bell-Booth

Luke Bell-Booth
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2006 - 11:50 PM

Hi,

This is my first real attempt at shooting with film, I've used supa8 alot but thats pretty basic stuff with the cameras im using and 16mm a couple of years back but only 100ft. Im in the very early stages at the mo and would appreciate some help and advice from you guys...

I have a Bolex available to me at present in reasonable condition but think it has a fixed frame rate, so looking into hiring a Arri SR II high speed kit for some faster 150fps shots i have in mind. I want all the shots to have a very rich stylised look, full colour with reasonable contrast. There will be 4 x 800w redheads, a couple of kobolds and hopefully a pair of kino flo 400 kits both with tungsten and true match tubes.

Shooting both night (with lights) and day scenes, so if anyone can recommend the best film i should buy that would be awesome!!.. looking at faster rated film like 250 and 500 because of the fast frame rates.. is this correct? I was thinking i would buy two types of film, one daylight balanced and one tungsten? Fuji or Kodak? I dont have a clue about the shutter angle on the camera so if someone can enlighten me on that one it would be fantastic! Telecine to beta at this stage, is there anything i have to consider? Its for a music video clip, no band member shots, quite random content but elaborate setups..slow pan forward to subjects, wacky but still subtle characters pretty much a piss take, high action for the slow mo stuff, some glamour shots with fake wind, smoke etc..

Thanx sooo much, i love this site!!

Luke

#2 Jon Kukla

Jon Kukla
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:27 PM

I have a Bolex available to me at present in reasonable condition but think it has a fixed frame rate, so looking into hiring a Arri SR II high speed kit for some faster 150fps shots i have in mind. I want all the shots to have a very rich stylised look, full colour with reasonable contrast. There will be 4 x 800w redheads, a couple of kobolds and hopefully a pair of kino flo 400 kits both with tungsten and true match tubes.

Shooting both night (with lights) and day scenes, so if anyone can recommend the best film i should buy that would be awesome!!.. looking at faster rated film like 250 and 500 because of the fast frame rates.. is this correct? I was thinking i would buy two types of film, one daylight balanced and one tungsten? Fuji or Kodak? I dont have a clue about the shutter angle on the camera so if someone can enlighten me on that one it would be fantastic! Telecine to beta at this stage, is there anything i have to consider? Its for a music video clip, no band member shots, quite random content but elaborate setups..slow pan forward to subjects, wacky but still subtle characters pretty much a piss take, high action for the slow mo stuff, some glamour shots with fake wind, smoke etc..

Thanx sooo much, i love this site!!

Luke

You'll definitely need lots of light for your high-speed work unless you're shooting exterior day, since 150 fps takes out approximately 2 1/2 stops of light. I'd highly recommend 500T for that section, at the least. But you don't need to buy tungsten and daylight stocks - an 85 filter (or an 81EF if you prefer a slightly cooler look) can be used with tungsten film for your exteriors. As for Fuji or Kodak and so on, that's really a matter of your personal preferences, stock tests, shoot factors, etc. Both have many great stocks, so it's impossible to recommend any one in particular for its own sake. Shutter angle on the SR2's are fixed, IIRC, so I wouldn't worry about it - besides, it will eat up tons more light that you're already losing to the high speed frame rate (which itself already shortens your exposure time), so don't bother losing any sleep over it.

Hope that at least begins to help!

#3 Luke Bell-Booth

Luke Bell-Booth
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:32 PM

Thanks Jon, appreciate the gd advice

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Tai Audio

CineLab