James Mann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:56 AM

Hello friends at home and abroad.

I am shooting a television show in a few weeks. We will be traveing to France, Italy and India.
The production company is based in the U.S and ownes all of its own gear which we will be bringing with us on our travels.

We have a fairly small lighting package coming with us: An 800watt HMI joker, a 3 light Tungsten Arri Kit, a couple of LED light panels and a few china balls.

From my memory the Joker Ballast has a 208v switch on it, and I have seen 208v incandescent bulbs floating around the office, but what else will we need for everything to work? Some type of Edison Three prong to regional prong adapter? Will we require any type of power transformer and/or converter to charge our camera and LED batteries? Or to power out incadescent heads? What about the procelin bases for the china balls, do they nned to be 220v?)

What other things am I not thinking about? What are some of the other considerations?

Please note, in each country we will have a few locals acting as our guides/translators etc. So if we need to find things once we are out there we can. But I would love to be totally prepared when the plane touches down.

Thanks

James Mann

#2 Jon Kukla

Jon Kukla
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:01 PM

Wish I knew, but my general advice would be perhaps to call a few of the bigger local equipment hire houses for each of these countries and ask them. Surely they deal with this at least occasionally, and at the least they'd have a vested interest since they could then offer their own services to assist you? Anyway, sounds like an adventure; good luck!

#3 Tony Brown

Tony Brown
  • Sustaining Members
  • 689 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 29 August 2006 - 05:23 PM

Add Gels to your list for India. I've worked on some big productions there and they never ever carry gel. No matter what you order, no matter what they promise you they have, take it anyway.

And why on earth are you taking that stuff with you???

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Technodolly

The Slider

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Opal