#1 Scottie Mei

Scottie Mei
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:48 PM

Hi David,
I read the article about Collateral you posted on the forum and there is one paragraph talking about shooting the night exterior scene outside the cab with HD. Cameron and Beebe mentioned they were shooting wide open and set gain at +6 which I got confused. I aasume they wanted to get a desired exposure of LA nightscape so they power window and DI actors' faces to bring back the exposure to normal to even out the overall image, but I wonder if it is true that you can bring down the exposure level at post with HD or video if the exposure is not out of the range? if so, what would be the safe zone for HD or video?? is it the same as video safe zone from 7.5-95 IRE? i thought once the image is overexposed( out of the range) there is no information recorded so you can't bring down the image. this has gotten me confused!! thanks for your time to answer and i really appreciate your help!!

Scott

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:51 PM

They didn't overexpose the faces so that they clipped -- they just exposed them brighter than looked realistic for the inside of a cab and then used Power Windows to darken the interior, rather than underexpose the faces to look natural.

In other words, they didn't overexpose, they just didn't underexpose because they didn't want too much noise in the faces. But the intent was that the faces ultimately looked a little underexposed.

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam