#1 Darren Ilett

Darren Ilett

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:57 AM

hey all i am a student at AFDA (a South Africa film school) and this is my first time using the forum.
i am about to shoot my last 3rd year film and need addvice on how to shoot a drop of water in slow mo falling into a puddle of water. i will be using a arri sr2 super 16mm camera.
Thanks Darren.

#2 Jon Kukla

Jon Kukla
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:30 AM

Ideally you'll want a high speed SR2 so that you can really slow it down. But mainly I'd imagine you'd want a long lens to isolate a single drop, and the appropriate lighting kit to be able to properly light it for a high speed shot.

#3 Kevin Zanit

Kevin Zanit
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1223 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:38 AM

I don't know exactly how slow you need, but I have found the typical water drop should be at least 500 fps (even better at a 1000). This is for a shot like this: http://www.cinespeed...tropfen_320.avi (my guess was that was about a 1000).

Some fast, long lenses with a good close focus and a lot of light are what you need (other than a camera that can go fast enough of course).

Kevin Zanit

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 29 August 2006 - 03:30 AM

hey all i am a student at AFDA (a South Africa film school) and this is my first time using the forum.
i am about to shoot my last 3rd year film and need addvice on how to shoot a drop of water in slow mo falling into a puddle of water. i will be using a arri sr2 super 16mm camera.
Thanks Darren.

Hi,

The faster the better, I have shot this in 35mm @360 FPS with a Photosonics camera. IMHO an srII is not going to be fast enough. A high speed SR2 @ 150 FPS would be OK but not that interesting.

Stephen

#5 Scott Bullock

Scott Bullock
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Other
  • Denver, CO

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:02 PM

If you can get access to Unilux lighting equipment you'll get some really spectacular results.

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Glidecam