#1 G McMahon

G McMahon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:16 AM

Hello all,

I just completed a short (20 min piece). The film ends at dawn. The scene, at dawn, was shot and in dailies the sun moved too quickly for us for the continuity of the scene. I shot it in away that the establishing shot where the car pulls in is a lovely dawn shot, then it cuts to a two shot of the players in the car, the light in the BG of the car is too bright (director doesn?t mind). We are doing a pick up shot which is part of the scene (slightly latter shot), I want to take advantage of this to make a segway from the establishing dawn to the car interior scene. I thought of a time lapse, but we both believed it was too intrusive of the camera dynamic we have previously established.

It is probably not noticeable, unless viewed by other cameramen, but are there any suggestions from other cameramen to bridge this lighting continuity problem? Cut away to street lights turning off?

Thanks all,

#2 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:06 PM

Seems like a subjective thing that is really script-dependant. I would think this is a good time to delve into the symbolism this dawn has for your movie, if any. If its a rebirth sort of afair, you could show a sun slowly rising over mountains. If your dawn is a death to the story that takes place in the night you could have the street lights cutting off like you said.

I think all thats really important is that you establish the fact that you have jumped a tad forward in time. If the scene cant play in dawn, then a cutaway would almost have to establish early morning/first light sort of time. Any serene shot should work, and could help tell the story (or at least signify the last act/end scene of the film).

Now what exactly should you shoot? I think its to involved with the script, especially since its the end of the film. Discuss with your director what comes to mind when you think early morning. It could be just about any shot, just so long as the lighting leans more to the car scene than the dawn scene.

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio