#1 dr_gonzo

dr_gonzo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • BROOKLYN USA

Posted 29 August 2006 - 09:49 PM

So I'm shooting day and exteriors on friday for my film. Shooting on Kodak 7222....

I was thinking about shooting with a red filter, but Im not quite sure what it will do to the hair of my lead actor which is very light blonde. The makeup dept. will likely have sprayed his hair to make it appear a bit whiter.

Im most likely going to shoot without any filters for the nighttime exteriors, since a red filter will really kill the shadow areas...but would an orange or a yellow give me a similar effect while getting more shadow detail?

#2 Mike Rizos

Mike Rizos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:30 PM

The red filter is likely to lighten your actor's blond hair. It will also lighten his/her skin and darken the sky.
Using them at night is not advised. Do you realise that the red steals 3 stops? If you want shadow detail at night your best bet is no filters and some overexposure.

#3 dr_gonzo

dr_gonzo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • BROOKLYN USA

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:41 PM

The red filter is likely to lighten your actor's blond hair. It will also lighten his/her skin and darken the sky.
Using them at night is not advised. Do you realise that the red steals 3 stops? If you want shadow detail at night your best bet is no filters and some overexposure.

thanks so much, this actually wont be too big of a deal with the actors hair since i wanted it to appear even lighter than it actually is.

Ive got a few HMI's in my kit for this shoot so I can afford to cut down a few stops with a filter at night, although I think Ill just save myself the trouble and just shoot with a 1/8 pro-mist glass.

Thanks!

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine