Konvas 1m test footage

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 devolved

devolved
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:12 PM

I've ran 400 ft of Fuji 250D. I think the camera holds up fine. Here's some footage shot at sunset with 50mm lens at f5-2.2:

http://www.fusion-co...konvas_test.mov

#2 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:05 PM

I can't view your footage.

One thing you might consider is using 50ASA like Kodak's 5245 or new 5201 for all outdoor scenes, even at sunset if shooting the horizon. I find the 250D to be way too grainy, and you'll get more than enough light at sunset with 50 ASA if you expose the lit up sky at F2.8.

Just a thought, some people really like 250D, personally I just don't like the grain.

#3 devolved

devolved
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:10 PM

Just rightclick on the link and choose save target as and open it with Quicktime 7. It's encoded with H246 quicktime.

Yes, I do find 250D a bit grainy when underexposed. But if you overexpose a bit ... the grain is minimized. I like slower daylight stocks though, and I do love 250D particularly, also for shooting indoors. It's a bit flatter and gives me some room to work when doing 10 bit log digital grading as I ussually do. But I do agree that grain gets kind of annoing, especially when you up the contrast... then it really hikes up. But... film is film :). I ussually deal with grain in the post... There are several filters in Lustre that do pretty well.

#4 Thomas Worth

Thomas Worth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:12 AM

Hey man, I'm not trying to one-up you, but I felt like I should post these clips because I don't think the footage you posted accurately represents what the camera and Russian optics are truly capable of.

These are the same pieces of footage from my site, just bigger. Rick-click and save them to your computer, or click and wait a while for the browser to load it. It's in QuickTime / Sorenson 3 format.

The footage was transferred on a Cintel DSX (if I remember correctly), in standard def at The Post Group in Hollywood.

Konvas Clip 1
Stock: Kodak 5274 200T
Lens: 75mm T1.5
Stop: T2

Konvas Clip 2
Stock: 5279 500T (pushed 2 stops)
Lens: 18mm T3.2
Stop: T3.2

#5 devolved

devolved
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2006 - 12:13 PM

Yep, I've seem these before on your site, although in low res. Good stuff. But as I recall yours is 2m, and mine is 1m. The lens on 2m are a bit better, I'm not sure what kind of motor you have either, but I'm guessing it's a synch one (not that it really matters since Konvas is pretty loud).
I use the cinelab in Boston www.cinelab.com . They do stuff much cheaper and transfer to digital format in 10 bit, but I'm sure not on the par with some of the standard Hollywood labs. Nevertheless, I was still satisfied with the results for a camera with such low price tag :).

I have a question for you though... I'm not sure if you've noticed the same. When shooting short ends I get lots of dust in the frame. Is that the ussual thing with short ends or is it something with Konvas? I do clean and blow the mags and camera out before every shoot. Although, since I do grading digitally it's not a huge deal since I can remove most of it... but still would be nice to know how to fix that problem. Any other advice would not hurt.

Thanks

Dre

#6 Thomas Worth

Thomas Worth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 September 2006 - 03:40 PM

But as I recall yours is 2m, and mine is 1m. The lens on 2m are a bit better, I'm not sure what kind of motor you have either, but I'm guessing it's a synch one (not that it really matters since Konvas is pretty loud)

Yes, it's a 2M. Most of my lenses were manufactured around 1990. Around what year were yours made?

I have the 19 series sync motor (as opposed to 17 series). And yes, the camera is loud! :o

When shooting short ends I get lots of dust in the frame. Is that the ussual thing with short ends or is it something with Konvas? I do clean and blow the mags and camera out before every shoot.

I notice it around the head and tail of the roll. Other than that, I've had good luck with short ends. Perhaps it could be the place that's processing your film.

#7 Leslie van P

Leslie van P

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:17 AM

Offtopic Message; Andrey, please contact me on mightypoo007@hotmail.com. Please?

#8 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:21 AM

I havent been able to view the footage as yet but I'm puzzled by some people's comments that Fuji 250D is very grainy. Are you referring to the older Fuji 250D or the current Fuji Eterna 250D? I viewed a high res music videoclip online shot on 16mm which used quite a bit of Fuji 250T. The majority of the 250T shots in the clip looked very clean and fine grained. Bear in mind that this was the tungsten version of this film so theoretically, the daylight version would be finer grained (probably slightly.) I admit that I havent shot any 250D myself as yet but plan to for a project in a few months.

#9 Rod Otaviano

Rod Otaviano
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 February 2007 - 12:22 AM

Hum ... strange ... I just found the same footage on Ebay but as if it were shot on a Kinor 16:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=140090389860

#10 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:36 AM

I've ran 400 ft of Fuji 250D. I think the camera holds up fine. Here's some footage shot at sunset with 50mm lens at f5-2.2:

http://www.fusion-co...konvas_test.mov

Dude, you gotta use your real name on this forum. Professional curtesy.

Opal

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc